Death to the worm

Kaplanm

I've found what appears to be a polyclad flatworm in my tank. He stalks around my tank at night eating my snails, which for now I can deal with. Astrea aren't too expensive to replace. However I want to get a nice clam, and from what I've been reading, that's their food of choice.

My question is, has anyone had any luck eradicating these things?

I've got FlateXit if I have to, but I don't think it'll work on something this big.

I've done the whole sit out at night with only red light and try and find the beast, but it's eluding me now that I'm on to it.

I'll give it a shot. This thing's pretty big from what I've been able to *****. Maybe about as big as the first segment of your thumb. I was thinking tonight I might try retrofitting a plastic veggie container and baiting it with their favorite, clams. Then it's a matter of buckling and waiting for the little bugger to show itself.

I had one when I first started in the hobby. It was about 3" x 4". It ended up taking the rock it was hiding in out of my tank and busting the rock open in my driveway. I got it out and just to be sure, I dried the rock pieces out in the summer sun in my driveway for a week before putting it back in my tank.

Since then, I have read about others baiting it and watching like you plan to do. Others have had good success with this method. You may want to remove your snails for a few days so it is more hungry and comes to the bait faster...

How would you do that? With Kalkwasser, or just with a concentrated solution of reef salt?

To accomplish that I'd have to remove the rock from the tank correct? All that assumes I could follow the little bugger to it's home. I've seen it taking free reign of the tank.

If I can get my nitrates problem under control, I've heard that Arrow crabs can be used to control flat worms. Is that something worth trying with this type of flatworm?

If you know what rock the worm is in, then hyper salinity will get it out without killing the rock.

Arrow crabs are known hunters of fish and inverts. If you get one, it will solve the worm problem and create new problems.

Hyper salinity is used to get inverts out of a particular rock. If you suspected that you had a mantis shrimp or something like that then you can remove it safely without much trouble. Get a container big enough to hold the rock that you want to dip and mix some salt water with a specific gravity between 2-3. Remove the rock from the tank and dip it into the water. You should see everything vacate the rock. Things like bristle worms, star fish, shrimp and whatever else can move, will start to flee the rock.

Search hyper salinity dip and check it out.

Tried leaving a clam in a breeder box last night, was still there in the morning. I don't think the slots would be too small given it as a flat worm.

So either the little bugger wasn't hungry, or it couldn't smell it. I'm not sure where it is so I'm left trying to get it to come to me.

Any ideas how to make the frozen clam smell better? Is there like a "flat worm love potion" I can spray on it?

Archived