Phosban restored vs carbon reactor?

Christian

Nothing really. Most all media reactors can run either media just fine. The phosban reactor comes with sponges to hold carbon in place and keep it from tumbling if you want to run that.

PhosBan is a brand name made by Two Little Fishes. It doesn't necessarily differ in function in any way to another reactor designed to use carbon or phosphate absorbing material like GFO. The main difference is the price point. TLF offers a reactor with a price point frequently around $30, while other reactors are $50-100. Many people complain about the reactor construction itself. Frequently brought up issues are leaking (which I experienced myself), tumbling or lacking tumble, and circulation that discharges carbon into the aquarium (also experienced). I found the supplied hoses and boots to be particularly bad; leaking often.

BRS developed a reactor to compete with the TLF reactor at the same price point. I generally hear better things about it. However, I have heard people mention the dual reactor requires much more flow to achieve an acceptable tumble.

Well I'm looking to set up sps domant aquarium and I've seep people running phosphate reactor and carbon reactors and calcium reactors on their tanks. But I don't know much about them or witch one I need to run on my tank.

Is recommend a couple things. First. See if you can visit some of our members with sps dominant tanks and learn how their equipment works for them. Second. Tests will reveal what sort of reactor you run. You can have a fantastic sps dominant tank with none-of, one, two, all three reactors you mentioned, or even more. Just depends on your water chemistry needs and maintenance habits

It also depends on your bioload. Some people run sps tanks without fish or inhabitants to limit the amount of phosphates introduced into the aquarium. Basically the more you introduce into the tank, the more has to be exported somehow.

Generally speaking, people use the following equipment for these reasons:

1. Carbon - Carbon is used to bind toxicins and clarify water. Most people who benefit from carbon get their water from a well or a place with high mineral content.
  2. GFO or phosphate binding material - Used to export phosphate. Basically the material binds the phosphate and then you throw it away. If you have an unbalance system, meaning no refugium, and a heavy bioload then the phosphate gets introduced to the tank through foods and such and doesn't get exported as fast as it enters. If you have fast algae growth or cyano, then you have high phosphates no matter what any tests says.
  3. Biopellets - BP are used to export nitrates. Nitrates, generally speaking, can only be exported by plants, bacteria or water changes. BP reactors cultivate bacteria that generally lives in deep sand beds or deep within rock. BP reactors are fairly new and have some side effects. I have seen people use them but not the majority.

Archived