Bubble Trap or No?

Uncle Fish

I have had my system up and running since mid last year and have constantly been fighting micro bubbles. I've waited patiently as skimmers broke in and plumbing slimed up but I still have bubbles. I've reduced flow, tried blocking them with various things, etc.

The source of most of the bubbles seems to be the box everything overflows into. Things get very turbulent in there and I can see the bubbles pouring into the skimmer section from this overflow. The local manufacturer of the sump suggests I have a larger drainage problem. My argument is even if I can eliminate the bubbles from coming out from underneath this box, the skimmer may still throw bubbles from time to time.

This is a 90 gallon cube into a 20 gallon tall sump. I know it's short. I am using a mag 18 to drive 3 returns, a biopellet reactor, and a dual Gfo/carbon reactor. At the end of my manifold I have a valve to release some exess flow back into the sump, which is slightly open, so I have no idea how much flow is actually going through the display.

I would like to remove the egg crate/foam contraption between my skimmer and return pump and install in it's place a traditional 3 baffle bubble trap. It has been suggested this may not be effective (by the same person who built the sump). Why would so many people use them if they don't work? I would be looking at an 8 inch depth on the end baffles, would this be enough to stop micro bubbles? Is it feasible to remove the egg crate filter and install a trap? Any recommendations on who does nice work around town?

Ugh. Bubbles.

Thanks for the reply. Here is a pic of the sump:

j2iQGyL.jpg

The section in yellow is where I believe all the turbulence causing the micro bubbles is. The yellow arrow represents were I see bubbles pouring underneath the last part of this section. The red box is the filter/egg crate baffle I would like to replace with a traditional bubble trap.

I think it would be difficult for micro bubbles to make it all the way through the "yellow" section. Bubbles are going to want to go up so I would say too much flow maybe pushing them through there and into the skimmer chamber. I had issues with micro bubbles in our old tank and never could get it resolved. The new tank I have a bubble trap in and haven't had a micro bubble yet. So I do think it would help but don't know how much room you have to get it in there. But I did install the one in my sump if you need any help or pointers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived