Ughhhh, clam disaster.

caferacermike

I came home late from work yesterday and notcied my beautiful Crocea upside down. I immediately knew it was done as it no lnoger had the flesh where it's foot should be. Then I noticed a large white pile of fluff in one corner of the tank. Fliiped it over hoping for hte best. This morning it has opened some and the flesh is still there but I can see right through to the rock below where it's gills used to be. There has been some reaching of the flesh but it's a goner.

I've had this character for about 8 months and it has grown over an inch in that time. From about 5" or so to almost 7" now. It had become the anchor of the tank. All sorts of zoas, mushrooms and some sort of pink finger like thing taking over my tank (no not an aptasia, more like a SPS with white tips) as they would float around they tend to set up at the base of the clam because there was no current to wash them away under his flesh.

Any ideas? Was it attacked? By what? I've been checking for months for those boring snails and had not seen anything of the type.

I'm heading in for another 14 hour work day, except today I'm sad.

I had a tank disaster and also lost my clams. I feel your pain.

Sometimes I feel like I should have a computer monitoring service hooked up to the tank taking readings throughout the day so if anything unordiary should happen, I could just go look at the readings and see what might have caused it. Sorry to hear about your clam and better luck next time.

I had a tank disaster and also lost my clams. I feel your pain.  

Sometimes I feel like I should have a computer monitoring service hooked up to the tank taking readings throughout the day so if anything unordiary should happen, I could just go look at the readings and see what might have caused it. Sorry to hear about your clam and better luck next time.

A Reefkeeper 2 has the capability to be hooked up to the internet so that you can monitor settings and make changes remotely. Only a little over $300 with a ph probe.