Baby Shrimp Explosion in 150g (mysids?)

prettyfishy76

I recently removed all of my fish from my 150g tank so that I could treat them in a hospital tank for internal parasites and ich. I am leaving this tank fallow for 8-9 weeks before I put the fish back in. Well, it seems as if the invertebrates are happy that the fish are gone... I took a look at the 150g this evening and noticed all of these tiny little creatures floating around all over the place. Before I took my diamond gobies out, I found their eggs in their cave and left the clutch in the tank. I thought the little creatures were goby fry, but when I put my OlloClip on my iPhone (it has a macro lens) I noticed that these weren't fish fry but were baby shrimp. My assumption is that they are mysids. The only other known shrimp that I have is a skunk cleaner, but I only have one.

What are your thoughts?

I crumbled up some fish flakes for them to eat if they want it.

Here's a photo and link to the video.

post-2976-0-04548100-1391403605.jpg

Oh yeah, mysids! Aren't you lucky! I've been trying without success to get them seeded in my tanks. I'm jealous!

All I had to do was remove ALL of the fish. Haha! I didn't even know I had any... This tank has been set up since the middle of last year and I've never seen these guys in there before. I'm sure they had gotten eaten up rather quickly any time they hatched.

I was actually wanting to order some mysids, but I couldn't bring myself to pay $80-$90 for shipping when the mysids only cost $40-$60. Meh.

I can't wait to see what else pops up in the tank now that the fish have been temporarily moved out. I just ordered some pods that I will add to the tank so that they will start breeding in there for the next 8-9 weeks. Those fish will be mighty happy when they return.

Archived