Nano Alagae issues

Dhayden

Well my 20g has never looked better, things growing, color, etc..

However, .... my 3g looks horrible. I have a red slime, and hair problem. Measuring no phosphates, and 20 nitrates. That alone should not be enough to cuase this but.. I used the water and rock out of my established 20g. I never really had a cycle, although it has a 2" deep sand bed, maybe that is still maturing. I think it was been set up for 3 or 4 months now. I have cyno and hair alagae I have not been able to get rid of. Tried throwing a towel over it for a few days with the lights off, that helped a little with the hair, but it came back. Maybe i should use no "sponge" at all in the back of the tank. Only have 1 maragrita, and 1 small crab in there. They arent accomplishing much :) Any suggestions? I could blow it up and start over :) it is small enough. I had no alagae issues in my 20g ever.

Drew

I would recommend removing the sponge (thats where the 20 no3 is coming from) and replace it with some phoseban or mabey some purigen.

Whats the lighting on your 3 gal?

You might beef up your cleaning crew just a little. I have 3 tiny blue legs 3 nass and two cerith in my 3 gal.

Do you have any fish in there yet or just the marg, crab, and shrimp?

Just 1 Hermit (seems pretty useless too), 1 Nassarius, 1 Margarita, 1 Golden Banded. Some Anthelia, Xenia, some polyps. Got 26 watts of pc over it. Ill try the phosban or puagen. Think that will help with cyano?

The 3g evaporates about a pint a day at least :). I have been doing 15% changes every week. i will try some of the compounds in there. The leather is doing great. Although I was having some thoughts about it deing in there :) Didnt realize it could prove a concern to the sps I have in there. So far so good. I was debating whether I should keep it though.