Inexpensive two-part calcium and alkalinity additive system

britfish

This is a link to making your own very inexpensive two-part calcium and alkalinity additive system

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

Has anyone tried it ? Results?

We've never tried this method before. In our case we had the calcium reactor running since we relocated the setup (about 2yrs.) and kept wondering why are corals (LS), weren't multiplying, until we tested for magnesium. All parameters were at its peak except for magnesium. We test regularly and added Epsom Salt to our tank to get magnesium up to 1350 and above. Since August, we've acquired small frags of (SPS) and they have tremendously triple its size within 4 months. Here's a similar link to read up on: http://ozreef.org/diy_plans/additives/magnesium.html

Hope this helps.

-Cindy-

speaking of this DIY solution

I am trying to decide between:

DIY 2-part calcium solution using a dosing pump as showed in the link above

or

Set up a calcium reactor (I have a Koraline 40002 calcium reactor already, still need a Co2 tank and regulator)

=======

Tank : 125Gal, with a many SPS (still small), I am dosing 2 part B-ionic solution right now

-It will cost me another $200 bux to get the Koralin reactor running (ie Co2 bottle/regulator/media)

-I can get a dosing pump for about $100, not sure how much it will cost for the DIY chemical yet, guessing $100

Would it make more sense for me to dose the DIY solution or even dose ready made B-ionic solution than running the reactor?

Any benefit or disadvantage? between the 2 choice?

What do you recommend? I am thinking about selling the Koralin reactor, since the dosing seem to be more cost efficient?

Thanks

Anh

Edited by bananags

speaking of this DIY solution

I am trying to decide between:

DIY 2-part calcium solution using a dosing pump as showed in the link above

or

Set up a calcium reactor (I have a Koraline 40002 calcium reactor already, still need a Co2 tank and regulator)

=======

Tank : 125Gal, with a many SPS (still small), I am dosing 2 part B-ionic solution right now

-It will cost me another $200 bux to get the Koralin reactor running (ie Co2 bottle/regulator/media)

-I can get a dosing pump for about $100, not sure how much it will cost for the DIY chemical yet, guessing $100

Would it make more sense for me to dose the DIY solution or even dose ready made B-ionic solution than running the reactor?

Any benefit or disadvantage? between the 2 choice?

What do you recommend? I am thinking about selling the Koralin reactor, since the dosing seem to be more cost efficient?

Thanks

Anh

IMO, setting up the calcium reactor would be the best way to get your SPS to thrive. You can keep your PH in check w/a ph monitor probe. And check your magnesium....this will help tremendously in the growth for your corals.

-Cindy-

The DIY 2 part solution and a dosing pump is a no-brainer solution for me. I figure the chemicals wiill cost about $20 including shipping for a 3 month supply. I'm goping to start with manual dosing as I do now with B-ionic, see how things go, then get a dosing pump for $90. You can can get everything you need from http://bulkreefsupply.com.

Edited by britfish

No stores in Austin sell Mag flake, The best and cheapest place I have found is Bulkreefsupply.com as mentioned before.

As far as Calcium reactor vs dosing 2 part I belive the CA reactor is far better. The CA reactor is going to give you more stable results.

And I would dose Magnisum as a 2 part also to give you a more balanced Mg. If you just dose Epson salt you could have a sulfate buildup if your not doing your waterchanges regularly.

Its a good idea to follow Randys Mg advise http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

Dow chemical, the maker for DOW Flake (calcium part) for this set up changed their formula a little bit

that make it not the best choice for this option anymore

From what I got, the first character on the Lot no: on the bag indicate the year A -> Z

V = 2007

as long as you get a bag with Lot no: S, T, U or anything before V, then you still have the old Dow formula

I found several website online that still sell 50lbs bag of Dowflake for dirt cheap (include shipping)

just order a 50lbs bag, they indicate that this is before the formula change, still waiting for it to come.

What is up with what was made in 2007?
Edited by bananags