Triple-decker sump/freshwater system

Makena95GT

Basically got the idea thanks to a few members in one of my threads. To have three 10 gallon tanks staggered. One bottom one, the next one 4 inches higher than the bottom one, and the next one 8 inches higher than the bottom one. The two higher tanks are drilled, and fitted with bulkheads. A water pump will be in/around the bottom tank, taking that water back up to the top tank, which will be led by gravity and luck down to the middle tank, then to the bottom tank (sump)

Thankfully I have a million bulkheads

DSC_1007.jpg

I also have a ton of ten gallon tanks, both drilled and not-drilled. I thought it was a pretty awesome idea to have up on display on a lab table, to the students can see it. Have some small FW fish n the top tank, and some inverts (Shrimp/snails) in the middle tank, while the bottom acts as a sump. It seems easy enough. so long as my 600gph pump doesn't overdo it :) I also need o build little mini stands to get the higher tanks p well.. Higher.

Tomorrow morning I will start with the cleaning of the three ten gallons. As all of mine are pretty gross. With the gravel (nasty) still in the bottom and dried fish waste in there as well. Also fit n the bulkheads and do some planning for the stands. have a ton of old wooden ammo boxes that can take apart and re-purpose for this build.

I figure I could have a section of my sump be heavily planted. The fish would be getting a constant flow of some nice clean water. Unless my 600gph pump is way too much lol. In which case I am willing to trade down to anyone who would like a maxi-jet 600 or even a Maxi-jet 1200. I have no reason to have these larger pumps, so I'll trade down at my own expense :)

Also if anyone needs bulkheads, I'll give those away free of charge :P

Archived