Low PH of 7.8!

sea horse

I have the same 'problem'. what time of day to you test your PH. if it is 7.8 in the morning, then no worries. if it is that at the end of the day then you may want to add some kalk daily. either in your top off water or directly to the sump. do it slowly if you do.

what is your alk, calcium, and magnesium? do you have a sump?

I test it around noon. What is kalk? Is that buffer? Don't know my other paramaters yet. (only bought the PH test kit) but a while back I whent to Aquatek and they said my Alklinity was good but my PH was too low, and it still is. Nope, don't have a sump.

kalk is kalkwasser or calcium hydroxide (lime). kalk will raise ph and calcium without affecting alk. you probably dont need it. depends on what you are keeping. i jumped the gun a little.

are you testing for nitrate?

the flow in the tank is low. is it a seahorse tank. do you have coral or macroalgaes?

when the lights are off at night the ph will drop. in the morning before the lights are on it will be at the lowest all day. try testing immed. after lights come on and again before they go off at night. you should see a swing of a couple points, ie 7.8-8.0. you really dont want it below 7.8. if it is dropping too low in the AM it may be an indirect product of low flow if nutrients are collecting on the bottom and decaying, but we really need to know more about the tank.

what do you test for and what are the results? what kind of lighting are you using? what is in the tank? filtration? skimmer? sandbed? algae problems? etc

I have battled that from time to time as well. How do you "top off" the tank each day? Kalk, Kalkwasser can be used to help top off the tank, keep your Calcium high, and buff up your PH. The ph out of my RO unit comes out pretty high with no Alk. Gues that is a good problem for me.

This is not a sea horse tank but I think why it has such low flow is because it is a Jebo and I think it is supposed to be used for fresh water.

The only coral I have right now is a tiny pink mushroom and a zoo rock.

I tested the water right after I turned on the lights and right before I turned them off for the night and PH was just as low both times! I think I would have an algey problem if I didn't have so many algey eating critters, but I think that is because I have old PC bulbs. (need to replace them soon)

I only top off the water when it looks low. Usualy about once a week. I am adding Kent Marine Liquid Calcium along with some other minerals.