How do you start a siphon?

KarenM

Other than the usual put-the-tubing-in-your-mouth way? I'm just too much of a wimp to do that. I have gunk in my overflow boxes that I need to siphon out. The way I start a siphon is to put the entire tubing in the water to get rid of all the air, then keep one end in the water and put the other end in the bucket.

But since I want to clean out the overflow, I can't do that. I tried holding my fingers over the ends of the tubing until I get one end in the overflow, but that's not working, either.

Is there some kind of little gadget that will act as a vaccum?

You could use a power head. Why isn't the finger over the ends trick working? Put the entire tube in the water so there is no air. Then pinch both ends closed. Move to overflow and only release when you have the high end submerged and the outflow over your receptacle of choice. If you have soft tubing you could move the overflow tube out of your sump into bucket. Then you could stir up the gunk and let it flow out.

You could use a power head. Why isn't the finger over the ends trick working? Put the entire tube in the water so there is no air. Then pinch both ends closed. Move to overflow and only release when you have the high end submerged and the outflow over your receptacle of choice. If you have soft tubing you could move the overflow tube out of your sump into bucket. Then you could stir up the gunk and let it flow out.

I don't know why it's not working. I guess it's just not strong enough to move upward to go over the side of the tank.

I don't think a siphon will be strong enough to really clean it, especially if you use airline tubing. Force = mass x acceleration. You need more of a mass of water if you want to get it clean. If it's algae you need to scrub it off and it will get sucked down. If it's sand you can leave it or turn off the return pump and remove the box completely then use a high pressure hose or showerhead to spray it out before you dry it off and put it back. I make my fish drink the water so I just use my mouth. It's really not that bad.

Edited by 4R00P3R