Reef Keeper Elite & Reef Octopus KS100

Mcjudge

Well I wanted to post a bit about some new equipment I just got. I have had my Reef Octopus KS100 for a few days and a cheap timer kept resetting on me. I don't really know why. The motor on the stirrer is supposed to run for 15 minutes and then be off for 2 hours to extend the motor life.(at least that's what the instructions say). I have had the Reef Keeper Elite lying around for about 6 months because we moved right after I bought it and I just hadn't set it up. So I mustered up the courage and decided to try to set it up. 2.5 hours and little luck later I am happy to say I love this thing.

Reef Keeper Elite & Net

Reef Octopus KS100 Kalk Stirrer

Step 1> download manual from forums(1)
Step 2> plug stuff in

1st hiccup got everything plugged in and the head unit didn't turn on and the PC4's were blinking. Had no idea why that was, enter forums(2). Saw a post talking about upgrading firmware decided to give that a try

Step 3> download myreef2.0 from website

Step 4> plug SIDv.2 into usb on laptop and plug in head unit, Computer sees it, Sigh of relief!

2nd hiccup try to update firmware but there is no program button on software. Unmaximize myreef2.0 and program button shows up. AH HA

Step 4> Update each module individually. Net unit takes the longest by far.

Step 5> Reconnect everything and still no dice. I had blue lights on some units but not the head unit.

3rd hiccup what would cause this. Answer was bad factory bus cable. Kit came with extras so I plugged in another and away we went.

Step 6> Access router to find IP address given to Net module. Seeing as how I have quite a few things on my network it took me a bit but I found it. Typed in the IP address of the unit and a webpage came up.

4th hickup the most generic white webpage pops up that looked like a retarded monkey programmed it. I thought for sure I didn't drop 5 bills for this...

Step 7> Back to the forums(3) I was thinking that maybe I messed up the install on the Firmware for the net module. This led me to instructions for loading the latest firmware on the Net module. Apparently you have to load a .bin file you download separately from forums. The instructions tell you to go to a specific url on your NET module to load it.

Step8> Oh wow there is a nice web interface to go along with it.

5th hiccup you need a user name and password to access it. Back to forums(4) to download manual for NET module to get default username & password.

Step 8> Login Finally!

Step 9> Start Programming. Thought wow I thought I was supposed to be able to control things from the website.

6th Sort of Hiccup there is a setting you have to change on the head unit itself to allow you to control stuff from the web.

Step 10> Setup a timer on the Head Unit (read the manual about how repeat works)

Step 11> On the website, set one of the channels on the PC4 to multi-timer and pick the timer you made.

All done and now I am going to go have a drink.

Archived