Which pendants to buy?

KarenM

Since I'm home this week, I patched up Entropy's MH retro as best as I could (and I'm hoping I don't burn my house doewn!) and all I can say is WOW!! My tank looks completely different, even with a retro setup just sitting on my canopy (with foil over the ends). I NEED metal halides! :D

I've been searching every site I can for some used matching pendants and can't find any so I'm considering just buying the pendant/reflectors. With the price being the top decision maker, which ones would you buy? Someone suggested these.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~PF2651.html

I'm pretty sure the type of pendant doesn't matter as much as the type of bulb. I would get the least expensive as long as they have quality reflectors that preferably are angled or rounded on all sides. Are you going with 250w or 400watt bulbs and ballasts? I think you will need 4 54watt t5 actinics to supplement these halides. I noticed you were asking about them in the other thread.

If you have to get one at a time I would consider getting the actinics before the second halide so that you don't have as much die off in your tank. I'm not positive but I think most coraline algae relies highly on actinic spectrum light to live. They will also go all the way across the tank and light up both sides. Just an idea. Actinics can make your tank look really cool by themselves. That would give a cool effect of a gradient until you get the other halide, but I've never seen it done.

Are you going to use 14k, 10k, or 20k bulbs? If I had money I would by 4 smaller halides. Then I could put a 14k and a 20k on each side of the tank. I recommend the 14s, but I don't know anything about brands.

Most likely 14s, because I'm going more for appearance rather than growth right now. As far as brand, I'll need to ask around and see what everyone prefers. I've heard the Coralvues are good.

I've got my eyes out for good deals, whether they're actinic or MH. I'm planning on at least one bulb in front and one in back. I'm also hoping they'll be some good deals right after Christmas if Santa brings new setups.

I am a huge fan of LumenArc Mini's. The spread is amazing and they really do make a difference in the light they cast downward.

On my old 125 I had a mixture of 150 watt 10K XDE bulbs and 250 watt 10K XDE bulbs...the LumenArcs were retrofitted with the 150's and the 250 was in a ReefOptics III. Standing in front of the tank you could not tell which fixtures where which. My corals couldn't tell either nor could the clams...they grew like weeds under the 150 watt bulb.

The biggest difference I could tell was the coraline did not grow as well under the 250 because of the light intensity. Here is a pic of the old tank, kind of hard to tell the difference in lighting.

125fts7-15.jpg

I would go with the lumenarcs as well if you can spend that kind of money. I was kind of hoping you could find something similiar to what you pictured second hand (used) for substantially less money though. :o

I just have to see pics of what you setup now. :D

I've looked at the lumenarcs, not only are they recommended, but they're 14.5x14.5. The existing holes in my canopy are 14.5x8.5. I figure it'll be easier to make the holes larger than smaller, and most 250W pendants are smaller. They are more expensive, though. And with Christmas coming up and my daughter's birthday in January, my Fish Budget isn't very big. I'm holding out for some sales, though. And hoping Santa brings a lot of people new stuff so they'll be selling their old stuff.

You should see my setup now, Rich. I have the 30" PCs on one side, and your MH retro on the other. Every week or so I switch. :wacko:

I recommend picking a side and leaving the PCs or halide there, and the other light on the other side like you have it. Everytime you move the lights some of the organisms and things can die. You will have better success letting the low light creatures thrive on the PC side and the high light creatures thrive on the MH side.

I would definitely go for getting the lumenarcs. A reflector can make a huge diferrence in light your tank. The lumenarcs are designed to get most of the reflection into the tank allowing littel to escape. They are definitely worth the money. Light wise I have had great results using 12K reeflux SE bulbs. I will however be switching to 20K helios soon. Also I would change the PC to T-5s. The intensity is bigger and they run more efficiently. You can run 4 using a workhorse ballast.

Edited by apedroza