removing plastic trim for glass replacement??

ct67stang

well, im picking yalls brains again for yet another project i have. i will be replacing a glass panel (the narrow end not the display side)on an standard style aquarium but my only concern is not to bend the top plastic trim that holds the glass in place. im guessing a heat gun?? but your experience and advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks again

chris

Personally i use a plastic plaster blade, like $2 at homedepot. To wedge the plastic lose from the side panels*Inside and out). Then it's a matter or slow pull and wedge and pull. P.s. just rock the trim back and forth gently.... It wont bend/break or go out of shape.

split it from the top ( so there there is an inside half and an outside half) with a dremel cutoff wheel, peel open like a banana...+ heat gun and blade

wow thats pretty invasive. glad ur not a surgeon lol. but i do see it working, thanks captain. :)

Personally i use a plastic plaster blade, like $2 at homedepot. To wedge the plastic lose from the side panels*Inside and out). Then it's a matter or slow pull and wedge and pull. P.s. just rock the trim back and forth gently.... It wont bend/break or go out of shape.

i actually have one. thanks pailines

A buddy and I successfully derimmed a 20L in less than a minute using a short 2x4 and mallet. Lay the tank on its side. Place one end of the 2x4 up against the corner of the black trim on the exterior. Hit the other end with the mallet using moderate force and move around to the other corners even if it didn't seem to knock the trim loose on the first whack.

We also tried using razer blade and such on another tank. Took much longer and ending up breaking the trim into multiple pieces, also cracked the glass when we were pulling on the trim too hard. It was in the corner which is also where its hardest to get the trim off. Hence the method above on our second tank.

Archived