Switching to an external pump?

Juiceman

I currently have running 1 mag 12 for my chiller, 1 mag 18 that's returning water and running my GFO, and 1 mag 9.5 returning water.

I'm transferring loads of heat because of this. I'm looking into switching to 1 strong external pump and manifolding it to run everything.

What do I need to do this?

Do I have to drill the side of my Sump?

Any other way of judging how strong of a pump I need, It's my understanding that they handle head pressure better than my submerged pumps so an external doesn't necessarily need to be and strong to pull off the same results.

Please help with your experiences!

1/2 hp reeflow pump would work. Drill sump and run it. When manifold inch make sure to go 6 inch past last outlet then cap to build proper pressure.

OK, they don't list them by HP so what would the gph be? And I don't quite understand the manifold suggestion. I think I do but I'm not 100%

You can come look at my manifold?

I am running internal pump because I run one pump on the whole system and no heater so Iw ant to retain the heat.

My setup is with a mag 18 because it can be ran internal or external, external would be identical to mine except the pump would pipe through the side of the sump instead of sitting where it is. Welcome to come look at it if you like, but I have class today from 1-4:30 and have to meet someone after that, I wont be home until about 6:30 at the very earliest. Tomorrow I'm home in the afternoon

You can come look at my manifold?

I am running internal pump because I run one pump on the whole system and no heater so Iw ant to retain the heat.

My setup is with a mag 18 because it can be ran internal or external, external would be identical to mine except the pump would pipe through the side of the sump instead of sitting where it is. Welcome to come look at it if you like, but I have class today from 1-4:30 and have to meet someone after that, I wont be home until about 6:30 at the very earliest. Tomorrow I'm home in the afternoon

I'll touch base with you after this week. I'm not in a hurry, just learning.

Sounds good, also just realize that an external pump with a remote head roduces even less heat. Reeflow uses this type o design with a plastic remote head and SS its nice when the seals dont leak :P

Flotec (no appliccable in SW) uses a non remote head, meaning it is bolted with short bolts right to the motor which allows massive heat transfer, they also use cast iron heads which absorb heat and dump it into the water. Something funny about reeflow is they have multiple impellers per pumps and can customize it exactly like you want, if you cann them and know what you want. But for the average hobbiest I wouldnt bother, their premade setups are the most economical and feesbile. You only want to customize when you have special needs to meet like water cooling entire setups and houses and such.

I would like to run my Chiller, 200g tank returns 4x, and my GFO. And later down the line plumb in another tank for special Items... he he hee!

Curious, your MAG18 runs all that and still gives you good pressure? Mine trickles out, and I'm only pulling a little bit out to run my TLF reactor.

How did you plumb yours? My mag 18 pumps water to three DT, 2 reactors, a uv, and I still have ports left over to add calcium reactor and other things if I want.

It has about a foot of PVC where it t's off for the reactor with a gate valve, the part that goes to the tank is vinyl tubing which goes to a t barb fitting and splits to the 2 return nossiles.

Yea that's going to give all sorts if problems. Water chooses the path of least resistance so if you have waves in the tank then at one point the left nozzles have more pressure then the right do and back and forth. Also it's relying on the built up resistance to push out to that reactor.

I'd replumb that setup and then see how I felt. You could make your mag 18 external during that time so if you still didn't like the flow you could just swap pumps easy.

Also my pump is only to move water from tanks I use power heads to move in tank water

So I would do a manifold like yours? You're doing a 75g right? I have my Mag 9.5 doing just returns along with the 18 and it is done with all vinyl tubing to a barb t and then to the nossiles, would that have the same issues?

Archived