T5 Lighting

KarenM

I would get 250w MH and I think the T5s come in 54w.

I agree, however I only have 150w MH on each end. (therefore the extra t5s) I would have 250w but the price on the two 150w was too tempting at the time and I wanted to hurry up and start reefing. I REALLY like the shimmer but didn't think I would get so addicted to SPS and want the 250w so badly. Perhaps after Christmas I will upgrade and post the 150w up for sale... But then again, I am also very reluctant to change what is working so well for me now...

I agree, however I only have 150w MH on each end. (therefore the extra t5s) I would have 250w but the price on the two 150w was too tempting at the time and I wanted to hurry up and start reefing. I REALLY like the shimmer but didn't think I would get so addicted to SPS and want the 250w so badly. Perhaps after Christmas I will upgrade and post the 150w up for sale... But then again, I am also very reluctant to change what is working so well for me now...

GIVE ME YOUR METAL HALIDES OR I'LL SHOW THE RECEIPT FOR THEM TO YOUR WIFE! :D

GIVE ME YOUR METAL HALIDES OR I'LL SHOW THE RECEIPT FOR THEM TO YOUR WIFE! :D

I have known for some time now that you really play dirty! :doh: First the kids, now the wife. :blink: You can have the kids and wife, just don't threaten my reef!!! :D Ha Ha :-)

Ok, so I should get 150 W metal halides and 4 T5s? So should I get 24" T5s?

If I were doing it over again, I would have at least one 250w. Your tank is much shorter so blending a 150 on one end and a 250 on the other might blend well. You could put your more demanding corals under the 250w.

I saw Rich's tank today. Even though he doesn't have actinics, his lights are awesome and aren't yellow at all. He has 20k MH bulbs. If I could recreate his light in my tank, that would work without even using actinics. But if I do decide to get some actinics, I'll probably go with Gabriels' idea of two 250Watt MH and 2 48" T5 actinics.