Resun sk300 Protein Skimmer

HaysStanford

So I ordered A resun sk300 protein skimmer on ebay for 25 bucks. I just set it up yesterday on my 10 gallon clownfish tank and will be updating this thread on the results I get. The tank its in has a pretty large algae problem, so I should be able to notice any improvements in water quality. The few reviews and videos that I could find in english said fairly positive things about this skimmer considering it is the cheapest HOB skimmer I could find that uses a venturi pump. Keep in mind this is the first protein skimmer ive ever operated, although I think ive got a pretty good idea on how to adjust it to get good DOC reduction. The skimmer is still breaking in but it already spits out a massive number of micro-bubbles, but they only rise above the water in the skimmer by about an inch max when in the narrowest part of the skimmers neck, which is probably due to it not having a layer of proteins on the plastic yet. The only issue I see right now that probably isnt caused by the freshness of the skimmer is that it shoots out a ton of micro-bubbles through its side (its not broken, it just has a very compact design that requires the whole skimmer chamber to be separated in order to reach the pump). So far this seems like it would be a pretty good HOB skimmer for anyone looking for a cheap solution to obtaining cleaner water in a QT that doesnt really hold any aesthetic value.