Get Kh down?

Dhayden

Is there any way to get the Kh of my tank down easily? It was up to 20 a few days ago, now 18, I am topping off with straight RO water, but that will take a while to come down that way. Did a 10% water change, thats how it got to 18 :D. I must have put the wrong buffer in the top off or something :) PH is 8.1. Alk is the only thing out of whack. And Im hoping that is whats causing me to have problems ridding my gsp from its white plague outburst. Dipped it 2x already. Keeps coming back. Scrubbed it with a toothbrush tonight with a fresh water iodine bath this time to see if that makes a dent. Its awful pretty and purple now :) Tomorrow afternoon it could be all white an fuzzy in spots again though.

I figure the Kh is my culpit.

hey there Drew,

you are pretty much limited to water changes and waiting with alk. stop all supplements until it is back where you want it. I cant remember which tank you are having trouble with. water changes should take care of the nanos should work pretty fast. three consecutive days of 25% changes in the 20 should get it pretty close. good luck

robert

What is your calcium at? They tend to run counter to each other, so if you dose calcium your kH should come down. I would think that with a kH of 18-20 your calcium has been decimated anyway. You will probably see a cloudiness if you dose calcium because the calcium will cause a precipitation. I have never had my kH get that far off so I cannot guarantee that the normal chemistry will work, but I would assume so. As has been said already though, try to take it slow.

So far 2 - (20-25%) water changes later all is in line. Thank You. I think I am slowly figurin this chemistry out. My Calcium is off the chart, but other than that all is good. Just topping off with striaght RO for a few days and monitoring. Yesterday I was at 13Kh. Figure 3 days or so should be good.