Silicone Help

Stephen

I've already assembled the tank and applied the silicone a few days ago. The problem is that I think I used way too much silicone and I'm not happy with the lines left over. What would you guys do? I'm thinking about going in and trimming the silicone with an exacto knife. I used the RTV 108 series silicone and its a rimless tank 3/8" thickness. 24x24x16

In the first pic I was thinking of cutting it back all the way to the inside edge of the glass.

2nd pic from the side. I was thinking about cutting it back as well.

Any thought on this? I am really hoping to clean it up a bit.

post-662-0-52203500-1345853579_thumb.jpg

post-662-0-71420100-1345853590_thumb.jpg

post-662-0-04357400-1345853602_thumb.jpg

I did put a lot and I didn't use my finger. I bought a spreading tool that I bought at Home Depot. The seals are solid and all the way through. That's why I was thinking I could just cut off the excess..

You could try to cut the inside silicone off and reapply. Did you use silicone on glass where it met? Then apply to inside? The way I would do it is lay a thin bead then run my finger up it to smooth it out and remove excess. As mentioned above to be even cleaner, you put tape on each side.

As long as the mechanical seam (glass to glass) is good, you can cut the outer 90* seam and redo. It looks like in the second photo you used tape but it setup too quickly. There seems to be a long bubble in the first photo also...beware.

Dont be discouraged, especially if this is your first time using silicone. It is tricky and can be intimidating.

1. I would leak test it first. See if it is holding water. This will let you know what too look for incase it doesnt hold. Like places where the silicone was too thin, not enough space or too much space between the glass.
  2. Next, if the seams are not to your liking, cut the corners out and try again. Lots of blades and acetone!
  3. After you set one seam, wet your finger and smooth the seam. This will thin out the silicone into a clean edge and remove excess. This takes practice!
  4. If you use tape, pull the tape at a sharp angle and before the silicone has time to skin over. If you dont, it will not remove properly and will fold over like curled ribbon.

Technically, the 90* seam isnt even needed, if you have a proper mechanical seam. I will be flamed for this, but if you look at the high end tanks, they dont have the rounded inside 90* silicone seam.

Good luck!

See thats the thing. I did put masking tape on the inside. I applied the silicone to the glass and from the inside. About 10 minutes after applying I pulled the tape on the sides and some came off great, but some not so easily. Then I tried to clean it up with my finger some and it just made my lines worse. Not to mention I left way too much silicone on.. I also should of done one panel at a time.

For the most part silicone wont bond WELL with cured silicone. As long as the glass to glass seam is strong, redoing the inside angle seam is fine. The stuff sets up fast, no doubt.

I actually just got some new silicone in that is supposed to have greater adhesion properties that I will be testing today, but it is all speculation at this point. How long has the silicone had to cure?

4 days. I cut some off earlier and it seems to cut pretty easily. I'm going to do what you suggested and cut it all the way to the edge and try to reseal.I'll post a pic after I trim it up.

agreed, if there is no air bubbles between the glass then cut all the radius silicone out of the inside and redo. use tape and when you finish ajoining seams pull the tape on them, dont wait cause it will pull the silicone once it starts to set and you will have the same look as you do now.

wheni make sumps/tanks etc i always put a good amount of silicone working from the bottom corner up and after a minute i put my finger in soapy water and run it from the bottom corner taking the excess all the way to the top this prevents sealing problems and gives a very good looking slick bead like the ones you see in stores. just keep towels and a sponge handy cuz it sucks getting silicone off your fingers lol but good luck to you!

If you do not like getting your fingers messy you can also grab a 4 pack of washers from the hardware section. Use one on each corner and toss it with the excess silicone. Learned that trick from Hydro!

Archived