Can't find heat!

Headless_donkey

The tank is coming along great.

I have one problem. It runs 85 degrees. I can't find the heat source. I have 2 six inch fans on the sump. I changed out the Iwaki for an Ehiem. No dice. I have let it sit without the closed loop. No dice. It runs 83-84 at night. Don't want to get a chiller. So, if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Refer to blog for set-up?

thanks

james

Thats strange James. Like I said I never had heat issues with the Eheim on my 35g...

I wonder if you've checked the temp with a different thermometer? Possibly a bad one? What heater are you using now?

Those lights will certainly put out alot of heat. Maybe some fans across the top of the tank? (unsightly I know, but my new tank has a 250w DE and without the fan it runs about 84, and steady 78.6 with)

I wish I could think of more.... good luck!

I had the same issue on my 75 gallon and had two fans in sump also. I was getting pissed on the heat and moved one on top and that solved everything. 75 gallon has a Hamilton pendant with two 175MH and 2 4ft super actinics. sitting 3 inches from water and temp does not exceed 80 degrees now.

-Joseph Le

The temp did fall to 80 during the night. So, I am thinking the pump must have helped. I will check the tank when I get home and see what the temp is.

Thanks for the suggestions.

What is the best temp range for the tank? Wonder if it has to do with the temp in the house? We've got a lot of dogs and keep our temp. no higher than 74/75 in the home. Our tank right now is at 72.9, but it was staying stable around 76.9..not sure why it dropped recently, but the thermostat is close to the top and we have one of those Coralife 150W (I believe) MH and something W actinic.

My corals are doing fine, but I lost a fire fish recently that has always appeared healthy...can't find him or my big sea slug. I also had a "pom pom" crab in my refugium and he croaked on me. That may have been my fault...think I dropped a little rock on him when I was messing with things.

Dena

Had a good laugh at myself. My thermometer was stuck on that 72.9 mark. I put my hand in the tank and knew it wasn't that cold. Turned it off and back on and it slowly started to rise. Got up to 80 and overnight dropped to 75.

Dena

The tank is running between 80.5-81.6 all the time. I am happy with that. It isn't perfect, but I can maintain a small swing. I have the heater set at 79-80. Maybe I should set it at 81.

Dee-I think Gabriel is right and a heater might be in order. From experience steady temp and salinity make huge differences.

The tank is running between 80.5-81.6 all the time. I am happy with that. It isn't perfect, but I can maintain a small swing. I have the heater set at 79-80. Maybe I should set it at 81.

Dee-I think Gabriel is right and a heater might be in order. From experience steady temp and salinity make huge differences.

I've got one...should be strong enough because it heated up my turtle tank to the low 80's. I'll make sure my husband plugged it in and it's up high enough. Thanks for the input. I thought I read somewhere a 5 degree change was okay...will get right on that. Wish we could move so I can get a bigger one...100 isn't big enough :yahoo:)

Dena