DI resin

Chad and Belinda

I'm getting around 1000g out of mine before it needs changing. My prefilters get changed much more often (every 2 months or so). Some TDS readings would help, if you have a meter. If you have one or can borrow one, what is your TDS:

going into the system

between the prefilters and the membrane

coming out of the membrane going to the di resin

coming out of the di resin

What's your water pressure going into the filtration system? What kind of system is it (four stage, five stage, six stage)? 100g sure seems like very little before losing your di resin. I run a huge amount of water through my rodi and my di resin lasts probably 10-12 months.

• Like 1

I've made a few hundred gallons with mine since bought it. I use 0.5 micron sediment filter and carbon block. 4 stage spectrapure. My DI is still producing 0 tds water. My starting water has around 500 tds. My sediment filter has turned dark brown but my pre RO membrane pressure guage hasnt budged, and from my readings, if your pressure is still good, So are your sediment and carbon blocks. It's still 75 psi. Just like the day I got it. Post RO membrane tds is 1.

I called BRS. They said it is not unusual for someone to get only 100 gallons out of their DI resin. He said some folks get a lot less some get a lot more. It depends on the water source. He said it could also vary from house to house. Makes me wonder what we are drinking here in Georgetown. Lol

Sounds like your rejection rate on your membrane is pretty low. I replaced my resin in Feb but it started showing tds since then. Ive since replaced everything including the membrane. Guess it all depends on how hard your water is coming in. Might add a second resin canister to clean things up even more?

I called BRS. They said it is not unusual for someone to get only 100 gallons out of their DI resin. He said some folks get a lot less some get a lot more. It depends on the water source. He said it could also vary from house to house. Makes me wonder what we are drinking here in Georgetown. Lol

I call baloney. The common industry standard for membranes is 98% rejection rate. Your TDS should be 6 exiting the membrane. And at 6, your di resin should last several months. Mine normally lasts from 10-12 months.

300 tds in is not unusual at all, I have over 300 going into the system. 0 coming out. You have something sneaky going on.

How old is the membrane, how old are the prefilters?

Edit: who is the manufacturer of the unit?

• Like 2

I had put fresh filters/resin into my system 4 months ago and realized my resin changed fast. When I bought new filters I also got a new membrane and cleaned everything out according to buckeye supply sterilizing technique. I'm putting 155 TDS in and getting 0 out. I'll watch how long it lasts. I'm hoping with all new stuff it will go over 4 months, I haven't been counting the gallons though now that I have my new mixing station.

Edit: Also is your system ever short cycling possibly causing calcium build up over the membrane which would put a lot more into the resin?

I call baloney. The common industry standard for membranes is 98% rejection rate. Your TDS should be 6 exiting the membrane. And at 6, your di resin should last several months. Mine normally lasts from 10-12 months.

300 tds in is not unusual at all, I have over 300 going into the system. 0 coming out. You have something sneaky going on.

How old is the membrane, how old are the prefilters?

Edit: who is the manufacturer of the unit?

It was made by Aqua-Safe.

The membrane (and all other filters) are 9 months old.

I had put fresh filters/resin into my system 4 months ago and realized my resin changed fast. When I bought new filters I also got a new membrane and cleaned everything out according to buckeye supply sterilizing technique. I'm putting 155 TDS in and getting 0 out. I'll watch how long it lasts. I'm hoping with all new stuff it will go over 4 months, I haven't been counting the gallons though now that I have my new mixing station.

Edit: Also is your system ever short cycling possibly causing calcium build up over the membrane which would put a lot more into the resin?

Dunno. I'll have to check.

It might be too late for it for this current membrane but you'll want to use it on the next. I use mine every two weeks for 10 min-15 min which is what BFS recomended and since I have a buckeye supply RODI i go with their suggestions.