Sohal Tang

nuxx

Anybody have or ever kept a Sohal Tang?

I really like them, but am a little scared to try one.

First, I think a 240 might be too small.

Second, I heard they might just take out everything in the tank after they reach a larger size.

Maybe I'll have to wait until I get a much larger tank one day sad.png

Edited by offshore

A 240 would be big enough. I have always wanted a Sohal tang but have been a little scared of their reputation as cold hearted killers.

I am a fish addict so I can never have a "last fish added". I am continuously trading out older fish for newer juveniles because I love watching them grow up. I think if you got a juvenile Sohal it would be perfectly fine with other tangs, it may just try to be the dominant tang for a while until he/she gets punked to the bottom of the pecking order.

They are beautiful and from my experience one of the hardiest of the Acanthurus sp. but like Hydro said it should be your last fish. Once added the only fish added aftewards with a good chance of survival are going to be species much smaller or much larger. They are not fast growers but do get large.

I'm about 98% sure the Zebrasoma and Acanthurus genus normally just have a single scalpel on each side. Maybe there was some confusion at one time or other and having 2 scapels, one on each side, got transliterated into a double scalpel. Maybe someone had one that actually had double scapels on each side (I've got a Sailfin that has two lateral lines on one side)? Naso lituras has two scapels on each side and some of the other Surgeon fish species can have as many as 7 so maybe there was confusion as to the species.

Saw tons of Sohals in Vegas... makes me really want one... but there were some massive ones there.

A few Nasos there had some HUGE scalpels...

Sohal at Caesar's tank: