Blenny Id

(Bio)³

I caught a Blenny while I was down at the coast and I have brought him home to my tank.

I love this little guy, he has a TON of personality and is always darting around the tank and constantly dropping off the large rocks to the bottom with an attitude!

I can't seem to ID what type he is. I think he might be a lawnmower but I don't see him ever mess with the small bit of GHA in the spare tank he is currently in.He does enjoy the pods though.

To me he looks like a lawnmower but ontop of his head where his "hair" is, he has a red mohawk. I plan to keep him sectioned off for a few weeks before I move him into the DT in the living room.

Any chance anyone has any idea what i'm rambling about for an ID on this blenny?

He is Benny the bad-*** blenny! ;)

I found with more research it could be a molly miller blenny. Seems like that is accurate based off the pictures i see online.

Not going to move him into the DT they have been known to eat zoanthids and clams and yumas as well as cleaner shrimp. He is way to fast, would be impossible to catch.

I've seen a ton of Seaweed Blennies while diving oil rigs in the Gulf. They range from mottle brown to green to bright yellow - with stripes and without. They're one of the reasons my wife (initially) encouraged me to get a SW tank (she dives, too).

My dive camera is cheap, so all the blenny pictures are blurry. Here's a picture of a striped one.

OilRigBlenny.jpg