possible to turn hob filter into overflow box?

Teresa

Hey everyone,

I'm close to biting the bullet and buying a $30-50 overflow box when this idea hit me. Do you think it would be possible to turn a HOB filter into an overflow box?

I've got a ton of different HOBs just hanging out in my garage (granted, many have already been ransacked for various parts). I figure if I remove the pump, then I just need to figure out how to retrofit some tubing to the bottom.

Anyone done this, know how I might approach this or have suggestions? I'm trying to keep costs down to $0 if possible with parts I've already got.

Everything I have read says it is a horrendous idea. It is nearly impossible to match drain/return rates over an extended period of time. The idea of an "overflow" is actually that only the return pump is dictating water movement. However, without the impeller is a different story... starting at 1:45 or so, this guy apparently did it and it is working (again, I don't know for how LONG: and in aquarium experience, when it rains it pours. You may literally come home to a huge wet floor depending on the size of your refugium...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX3MUFTkT0U

In my personal opinion for the headache it is going to cause you to find all the correct PVC, fittings, glues/sealants, designing a "screen" to ensure water only flows one way, possible insane flooding, it is worth it just to buy a $30 overflow that you KNOW is going to work. But to each his own.

Your looking for Hang on back over flow and not just a box for a drilled tank right?

I have 2 over flow boxes for drilled tanks that I plan to list when I get around to it, going for $25 each. Originally they were $50 each.

ever been used or siliconed on.

Your looking for Hang on back over flow and not just a box for a drilled tank right?

I have 2 over flow boxes for drilled tanks that I plan to list when I get around to it, going for $25 each. Originally they were $50 each.

ever been used or siliconed on.

I'm looking for an overflow for non-drilled tanks so I don't have to drill into my tank. Do you have any pictures?

• Like 1