Jabbed by My Radiata Urchin

Derek

I have heard that Radiata Urchins have venom. What kind of venom do they have? I just got jabbed by mine about 30 minutes ago. I soaked my hand in epsom saltwater for a bit. My finger does not hurt or anything. I just see the little stab mark where the needle went in.

Well, I'm not going to go and try for myself but if you didn't feel anything almost immediatly my guess is you didn't get any thing. Most toxins or venoms are going to give an immediate reaction like a bee sting or fire ant bite.

I am okay then. It's been over an hour and no sensations of pain other than right at the penetration point. It just feels like a splinter. No swelling or discoloration.

I think my main concern was that I had no basis of comparison for what it would feel like. I have not been stung by a bee or bitten by an ant in many many years.

Well, I'm not going to go and try for myself but if you didn't feel anything almost immediatly my guess is you didn't get any thing. Most toxins or venoms are going to give an immediate reaction like a bee sting or fire ant bite.

I dunno about urchins but when I get a bee sting or wasp sting or anything like that I take meat tenderizer in power form and mix it with water to make a paste, smear it onto the area and it seems to help with swelling and residual pain