FYI - Pairing off Coral Banded Shrimp

FishyStuff

The CL ad posted by PBNJ made me think a lot of aquarist may not be aware Coral Banded Shrimp can be paired off. If a small and a noticebly larger Coral Banded Shrimp are put into a quarintine tank simultaineously about 2 out of 3 times they will become an established pair. They do need to be watched closely and a 2nd tank is needed to save the smaller one if it isn't working out. It isn't too unusual for one to loose a claw initially with introductory greetings but if it looks like aggression is going to deprive one of a 2nd claw it's best to take it out. It usually takes about two molts for the lost claw to regain it's porportional size. Another interesting behaviour is self amputation they will perform if a claw is damaged.

I introduced a cleaner shrimp into my tank with a Coral Banded. The CB had previously been the beast of the tank. He rushed the cleaner shrimp and *SNIP*, off came one of the CBS's front legs and claws. He backed off for a bit. I came back an hour later and he was in a far corner, other front leg/claw missing. He was dead within a dead, and the smaller cleaner shrimp had a cleaning station setup on the rock over his body.

It is sooooo annoying when shrimp make a liar out of me! I normally don't consider Skunk Cleaner and Coral Banded Shrimp incompatible but the only absolute for reef tanks is you have to have salt and water. hmm.png