Artemia (not)

hammondegge

found them living in my sump. i am convinced that they are breeding in there as the population continues to increase and i do not feed with live brine. sometimes i throw a few in after feeding the seahorses a treat but the seahorses dont get that treat so often. it has been a month or two since i last did this. has anyone else noticed this? can they thrive in there?

From what I've always understood, artemia live in much colder, much saltier water than what we normally run in a reef tank. I think we keep the holding tanks of them at around 65-70, with almost no flow, and a salinity of 1.030 and the little things are so dirty, they end up dying eventually anyway.

Are you absolutely positive that they're artemia and not some kind of mysid shrimp? Very interesting!

John

could be mysid i suppose. they just have a back and a bunch of frilly legs like brine. i asked WWM and they said it was possible yet uncommon. i need a second opinion on the ID though. I did just add a chiller but i have been running it at 79.

I run at 78-79 and didn't think it was possible for them to reproduce in display. Would love to see a picture but this is really interesting stuff Robert. Imagine a refugium connected to a brine shrimp "rearer". Everyday, the babies float out and your tank is fed natural food!

i caught one and got a closer look. i think they are baby mysids. they have distinct eyes, thorax, tail with flukes. they are not artemia, but they sure swim like artemia. where did they come from though. i certainly have never fed live mysid. they could be cleaner or peppermint fry, or even ghost shrimp. hmmmmmm. i suppose i will just have to wait and see.