big stand through a little door

Entropy

None of my windows are big enough without having to remove the center brace/frame which I am not willing to do (ok my wife is not willing to let me). My front door is the only door that is close and will not come apart easily. After about an hour of scratching my head I have come to the conclusion I am screwed. I am thinking my only option is to build a new stand frame, or take the tank back.

The door stop is not milled as part of the frame (unless your house is over 75 years old). If you can take the door off the hinges and CAREFULLY remove the door stop you will be able to just squeeze through the door with the stand. Once inside, just use trim nails to put the door stop back on, caulk it and paint it to match just like it was.

Have had to do this twice to move a freezer in/out of my house. And have had to do it for several clients who bought items that were *just* a little too big to get through the door.

The house was built in 2006. I might give that a try, but the door itself is not quite 36 inches (about 35 7/8) and the stand is a true 36. I would hate to tear off all the molding just to find out I am off by 1/8 of an inch.

I guess the new question is can I build a stand frame to replace the steel with wood without breaking the bank (that already got broken by the purchase price)?

Sherita better said exactly what I was talking about! If your door is 35 7/8" the your frame should be a little more than 36". I just measured the standard 36" front door on my house, and the door is exactly 36". If I removed the doorstop on the frame there would be a hair over a 36.5" opening. My house was built in 2008 so it should be pretty similar to yours.

The other thing I was thinking about is taking the steel stand to a local welder. Have them cut the stand at the corners and weld on brackets that would allow you to take your stand apart and then bolt it back together. I've seen stands built like this and they work great. I would try all my options before I scrapped the steel stand.

Well after careful thought I am going to build a stand frame. The skin will work either way so no biggie there. I won't have the nice steel stand, but I really don't want to disassemble my front door and take it apart again down the road if I decide to go another direction and sell this tank. I don't think I will, but you never know. Thanks for the ideas.

Take the stand to a welder and have them make it bolt together, best of both worlds. You get your steel stand and you dont have to take the door apart. The money spent building something new will be more than having a welder modify your stand.

• Like 1

I am having a hard time picturing the stand bolting together. I guess in theory I only need to remove one side worth of tubes and then it would angle through (rotate it as it goes through the door). Anyone have a picture example?

This is just a quick thought so there maybe a better way, but at least it will give you an idea.

Take it to a welder and have them start by cutting the top completely off on the verticles maybe six inches down from the top so that when you remove the top the square is still in tact and has six inch legs. Then they should find the next tubing size down that fits inside the existing stand tubing, and weld the smaller diamter sections in to the inside of the stand so that you can easily slide the top on and off of the bottom. Then have them drill holes into the sections so that you can place a bolt. I would do two on each verticle. Hope that makes sense. I'm in a big hurry so no time to look over.