1 gal setup for brine shrimp

KarenM

I'm still trying to work out a way to keep live brine shrimp for my tank. I'm thinking about getting one of those 1 gal complete setups that are at walmart for $15. I'm also still working on putting together a HOB fuge for pods. Would the brine live in there?

Any thoughts?

brine shrimp will live indefinitely in water the same salinity as your tank, they'll be eaten or minced by a powerhead before they expire for any other reason.

I found a little 1 gal at Petsmart for $11, it has a light and a tiny little air pump. I put a small amount of eggs and some phyto in there. Hopefully I can keep the live ones all the time. Since I only have 2 fish and the apple now that eat them, I need to only put a small amount in the tank and the rest would die the next day if I didn't use them. I'm also working on getting a HOB fuge for pods. I don't think there are any in the "shower caddy" I have.

Anything smaller than a fishes mouth also needs a place to be safe (ie: refuge). Depending on your fish most will not last long. Six line wrasses for instance are excellent hunters and will wipe your tank clean fairly quickly. Scooter blennies and mandrins are also good hunters. But if you have a refuge or good size sump with no competition the pods will grow pretty quickly especially if you feed the area.

are you skimming your system a lot? I find that systems that are overskimmed tend to remove a lot of the food sources for pods and mysids.
I run the skimmer all the time, but it doesn't work very well and I can't seem to get it adjusted right, so I don't think I'm overskimming.
Anything smaller than a fishes mouth also needs a place to be safe (ie: refuge). Depending on your fish most will not last long. Six line wrasses for instance are excellent hunters and will wipe your tank clean fairly quickly. Scooter blennies and mandrins are also good hunters. But if you have a refuge or good size sump with no competition the pods will grow pretty quickly especially if you feed the area.
I did have a sixline, but he disappeared a couple of weeks ago. I'm working on getting a HOB fuge, but right now I have a clear "shower caddy" hanging on the back wall at the top. The sixline regularly went in there, so that was probably the reason there's nothing in there but baby feathers.