Ca Reactor Question

ACampbell

Well the Ca Reactor is finally up and running! :lol:

After all my complaining, I finally managed to get everything together. Here's a pic of everthing going. Now I just need to fine tune the controller then move it all inside the stand.

caReactorConnected.jpg

Thanks everyone for you help.

Depends on which of the 2 popular methods you used:

Method A:) PH probe in the tank itself: Setpoint to turn the CO2 OFF when the PH drops too far.

Method B:) (PH probe inside the reactor media chamber itself) media will "melt" between 6.4 and 6.8

so somewhere in there is your sweet spot.

If using Method B - (we all do I think) - If you have a Milwaukee PH Meter

use it to check daily that even with the reactor tuned in, that your tank PH doesn't go too high or too low. (It can do either one depending on how well your ARM melts, or doesn't melt).

2 problems I've had to watch out for so far: If I push too many drops/sec (water) through the reactor, I'm not giving the CO2 enough recirc time to do it's work - then the CO2 will wind up in the tank water, and can drop the PH until it gets bubbled out. - the 2nd problem is sort of the opposite: Too much media melting into the water too fast and it can have the opposite effect, (PH

swings too high in the tank, and then becomes unstable).

Most other reefers I see seem to keep the tank somewhere between 7.9 and 8.1 - but, this isn't a religion, just what I see others doing, so I am having good luck doing that too so far.

I keep our reactor's controller set to keep the reactor chamber water at 6.5 and I watch the tank's PH closely

Good Luck. --Now figure out how to get your Magnesium up to 1350 (Epsom Salts in your top off water)-- big secret==>Acros go BOOM..(grow like crazy).