What weldon product to fix a leaking diy carbon reactor

AquaJohn

My DIY acrylic carbon reactor has had a super small pin hole leak for a while now. What weldon product would work best to just pack around it :) and seal it. I have it soaking in vinager/water now and going to hit up the plastic shop to get some weldon just not sure what #.

or should I just slab on a ton of epoxy ?

I actually repaired an acrylic rx using a 5 minute epoxy that was specified for plastics. I just used a little steel wool to rough up the area first. It has worked great ever since. They sell it at HD.

I would only suggest that if you don't want to make the trip to regal as weld-on is definitely the better choice. Also, the past two times I've been to regal they've waved the $25 fee. I believe that fee is really only put in place for when you order custom cut acrylic sheets.

thanks for the tips Im going to austin today anyways so may as well get the good stuff smile.png for the next time

Can you let us know if that #33 stuff works for you? I was at Regal Plastics today when you stopped by. This is the second time I have been by there and they didn't have the 16 so curious how well the other stuff works.

It was about like super glue gel and did not wick out alot. I put it on about 15-20 min ago and its still soft. It says to let it cure 24 hours. Im not sure when I will get the carbon back on line might be Monday. I also had a cracked junk pc of 3/16 acrylic that I squirted some on to see how well it would fill a gap. it did not travel far when I stopped short of the edge of the sheet I figured it would wick out but it probly did not move more than 1/8 past where I stopped.

as far as the 25 bucks :) I got some weldon 4 an aplicator and a pc of 1/4 black so the total was 25.98 but they did have signs all over the place saying there was a minimum. From there attitude I would bet they do not enforce it unless you are a jackass.

well no more leak in the reactor :)

I also flexed the cracked acrylic and it broke next to the crack so I guess it works well I have not used weldon 16 so cant compare but the craftics #33 sold at regal plastic gets an A form me at least short term.

It is clear and smooth when dry and I just gooped it over the leak.