On my way!

KevinB

Exciting! Today I got the plumbing finalized, electrics and timers installed, and the RO filter installed under the kitchen sink (conveniently located on the other side of the wall the tank backs to).

Installing the auto shut off valve on the RO/DI unit was confusing as hell, but I guess it works since when I shut off the water with a ball valve after the filters, no water is seen from the drain line. That's good right? lol

Right now it's just a manual system, but I may eventually go auto. Thanks to Paul at www.autotopoff.com for hooking me up with my plumbing needs. He's local, which is great.

I also made some sound deadening baffle...one at where the tank meets the stand. It goes horizontally across the entire tank, and spans from the tank to the wall behind it. It's two inch thick foam so it should help with noise quite a bit, and also block light escaping the sump area at night. I've got another piece of foam blocking one side behind the stand vertically.

Slowly but surely I'm filling up the 75+20g system. I can't wait to order the live rock...I'll post photos when it arrives!

Now that the initial setup is done, it feels like the fun part is just around the corner

post-2217-0-15500800-1324186557_thumb.jpg

post-2217-0-96282900-1324186574_thumb.jpg

Welcome to your new addiction. Since your waiting I'd do a search on dry or dead rock and see if you don't want to go that rout. It's cheaper and no chance of a pest infestation. Good luck and welcome.

I've considered that, and a good portion of my tank will be either dry or from an ARC member. But I do want to seed it with as much diversity as possible, so I've placed my order for some florida live rock, about 30 lbs. This will be a low process, so I am thinking I'll have time to sort out the pests before adding fish, etc.

Word of caution if you're getting rock from the gulf rather than a tank... pests. We had 5 mantis shrimp in a 400# order of live rock from TBS and about a zillion gorilla crabs (still finding little ones). I'd suggest putting the rock in an isolation tank and/or washing them off with some freshwater to get as many pests out as you can if it is indeed coming from the ocean.

Word of caution if you're getting rock from the gulf rather than a tank... pests. We had 5 mantis shrimp in a 400# order of live rock from TBS and about a zillion gorilla crabs (still finding little ones). I'd suggest putting the rock in an isolation tank and/or washing them off with some freshwater to get as many pests out as you can if it is indeed coming from the ocean.

I'm getting the rock shipped via 3-day, so that should eliminate any of the mantis or crabs, but if any do manage to survive, my son and I look forward to having the critters around until we are ready for fish. We were also planning on a freshwater dip to dislodge anything harmful