My First Skimmer... Newbie Questions

C Lo Slice

Thats most likely because the skimmer is going to take a while to break in and may be skimming extremely wet. Which will mean that its just going to pull a couple cup-fulls of water in the first few days, dropping your water level. So instead of pulling out several cups of water that you have to replace, it just wants to drop it back into your tank.

Okay, so I'll just go ahead and clip the end of the airline tubing back into the tank for the first few days. I pulled the o-ring all the way down to the drain fitting for the time being. I guess I'll go hook it up while the wife is at a party, just in case water DOES end up on the floor. What Wifey don't know won't hurt her shifty.gif

So the installation is complete. Just thought I'd share a couple of pics and see if anyone noticed any issues. I draped a towel over my surge protector behind the tank *just in case* of any leaks (knock on wood). The final picture is of the return from the drain fitting back to the tank. Nothing happening so far, and the bubbles haven't gotten up to the collection cup, so we'll see what happens with that.

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread. I was really freaked out about leaks, so thanks for everyone's advice. I really appreciate it (and I'm VERY sure my wife does too).

post-1918-0-13721000-1322963439_thumb.jpg

post-1918-0-36587300-1322963496_thumb.jpg

post-1918-0-41153300-1322963567_thumb.jpg

post-1918-0-48803200-1322963639_thumb.jpg

Looks alright, but the cup may be a little far down. Are you seeing much foam in the cup yet?

Also, putting the tubing in the tank isn't going to do anything like that. It looks like you have a big loop going down, and coming back up into the tank. There will be no pressure in the hose to allow the fluid to move down and back up. If you are going to drain directly into the tank you really just need a 6" or so piece of tube that runs straight from the drain into the tank.

Yeah, I was just thinking the tubing was waaaay too long. I'll cut it back here in a second.

There is absolutely NOTHING in the cup yet. It has been running for about an hour now; should I be seeing something? If I look down into the cup, I can see the bubbles a little ways down.