Switching from VHO to Metal Halides acclimation?

Juiceman

I just got 2 400w lumenmax halides with coralvue dimmable ballasts. I'm researching the best way to acclimate my corals to the switch.

I'm currently running 4 48" vho bulbs at 110 watts a piece. And 2 vho separate actinics for dawn and dusk.

Should I dimm the halides all the way down and only do a few hours a day for a while? I won't have a way to raise them in the apartment.

Open for suggestions

Edited by Juiceman

That's a massive increase in light so you should work up to a full schedule over at least a month, maybe even 2 if you have a lot of coral. Fiberglass window screen also works great. You can lay several layers of screen over the tank, and remove 1 per week until the tank is at full light.

Ok, I'd heard of that before. So would I run a full lighting period but just have the screens over the tank?

That's a massive increase in light so you should work up to a full schedule over at least a month, maybe even 2 if you have a lot of coral. Fiberglass window screen also works great. You can lay several layers of screen over the tank, and remove 1 per week until the tank is at full light.

be VERY careful with the screen...DONT get it to close to the fixture, it will dry up and become brittle (and will make the tank a mess) it works though. I run 4x400,2xVHO, and 8xHOT5s. 400s are very hot.

whats your electric bill like? omg i dont think i could afford that one and buy coral

Yesterday I did 2 1 hour lighting periods at 50% power. Everything looks happy. Didn't go for the screen thing. I'm now wondering should I increase the photo period first or the power first? I figure to make an increase of some type every 4-5 days. Thoughts?

Before, 4 VHO 110w Super Actinics, 2 VHO 110w Actinic White

post-1783-0-25787600-1320023732_thumb.jp

After, 2 VHO 110w Super Actinics, 2 400w 20K Lumenmax Halides at 50% power

post-1783-0-70489000-1320023751_thumb.jp

A little Blue for my taste, will the colors be better with higher power? I know it's definitely brighter with more power. But I like it so far. Might change to a different K though. We'll see

Edited by Juiceman

With the 20K, you'll be pretty blue. They will get more blue as they break in as well. You may want to go with 14K's when you replace the bulbs. Personally, I would probably just deal with the blue until the bulbs need replaced since they're not the cheapest. I also agree with increasing intensity first and then photo period second. Keep a close eye on your SPS, especially blue ones or seriatopora, as they should be the first to show signs of bleaching or RTN.

That was my thought. These 20k's are about 6 months old from what I was told. I've been trying to research the color differences between the kelvins and brands. It's alot to figure out.

With the 20K, you'll be pretty blue. They will get more blue as they break in as well. You may want to go with 14K's when you replace the bulbs. Personally, I would probably just deal with the blue until the bulbs need replaced since they're not the cheapest. I also agree with increasing intensity first and then photo period second. Keep a close eye on your SPS, especially blue ones or seriatopora, as they should be the first to show signs of bleaching or RTN.

Be careful dimming those bulbs. You can change the spectrum that the bulbs are supposed to produce and create new problems. I would suggest just reducing your photo period way down. Maybe 1.5 hours a day and then increase 30 min to an hour each week

What problems could it cause having them at 50%? They're on for 2 1 hour periods each day right now. I'm planning to turn up the power on Wednesday to 75% and on Saturday to 100%.

Be careful dimming those bulbs. You can change the spectrum that the bulbs are supposed to produce and create new problems. I would suggest just reducing your photo period way down. Maybe 1.5 hours a day and then increase 30 min to an hour each week

Yeah, you can definetly see a color difference when they're turned up. switching up the power tomorrow. Should I go ahead and go straight to 100%, or should I do 75% for a few days first?

The bulbs aren't designed to be manipulated. I know of someone who had there 400s turned down to 250s and it ruined the bulbs. IMO the 20Ks will be whiter when they are at 400Ws. I have 20Ks and they look fine.