How long can a BTA stay in the bag?

KarenM

I'm about to give up on my BTA. My water is back to normal (for MY tank, anyway), everything else is thriving and looking good. The BTA looks worse. I'd like to get another one for my false perc, because he loves them so much and I like to watch them sway with the current.

I'm going to stop by RCA and get some water about 3:30. Then I have a stop to make in Cedar Park, and expect to be home in Georgetown between 5:00 and 5:30. I'd like to get another BTA at RCA. If I take the BTA inside with me at my stop in Cedar Park and don't leave it in the car, would it be OK in the bag for 2 hours?

You don't want anything in a bag any longer than you have to. Your clown will be fine a couple days (or forever) without an anemone, so wait until you have a whole day to devote to getting another anemone so you have plenty of time to acclimate, and are not in a rush. Heaven forbid you wreck your car while rushing to get home or something. :(

Anemones do best (in the ocean :D ) in mature tanks, so if you already have one that is not doing well I would hold off and find out why before possibly losing #2 to the same reason.

I ended up not getting one. The one I have now is still alive, not sloughing off anything, just kind of keeping a little closed up and has pulled all of it's tentacles in. Until that nitrate spike it was fine, just hasn't seemed to recover. I'm afraid it's going to die, and I won't realize it, and then my tank will have trouble again.

This is an excellent article! Only after I'd had the BTA for about a month did I realize it was bleached and unhealthy to begin with. And I thought it was so pretty and white. :( And there's some question about my lights, too. I have dual 65 watt PCs. Some say that's OK at long as the anemone can get up high, others say it's not enough no matter where the anemone is. So I need to put some thought and research into it before I try again.

I ended up not getting one. The one I have now is still alive, not sloughing off anything, just kind of keeping a little closed up and has pulled all of it's tentacles in. Until that nitrate spike it was fine, just hasn't seemed to recover. I'm afraid it's going to die, and I won't realize it, and then my tank will have trouble again.This is an excellent article! Only after I'd had the BTA for about a month did I realize it was bleached and unhealthy to begin with. And I thought it was so pretty and white. :( And there's some question about my lights, too. I have dual 65 watt PCs. Some say that's OK at long as the anemone can get up high, others say it's not enough no matter where the anemone is. So I need to put some thought and research into it before I try again.

I wouldn't try to keep one without at least one metal halide. They are light lovers IME.

I wouldn't try to keep one without at least one metal halide. They are light lovers IME.

I've thought about upgrading to MH. I've only had the PCs for a couple of months, but I'm keeping my eye out for some clip-ons.

I had RTBA's for a long time and they would park right under the halides (175w) less than 10 inches down. I had great success keeping them and had many splits. The only bad thing about anemone's is that sooner or later no matter what you do they start to move around the tank, or they split and the daughter colony moves. For some reason they usually pick the most expensive coral in your tank to park on.

Good luck with the recovery, I hope your BTA makes a come back.

IMO, it is best to wait and let your tank mature. Later on you might decide on something more suitable for the clown, and it doesn't necessarily have to be an anemone. We got tired messing with anemones after splitting and moving around in the main tank.......they have a mind of their own and they will move to where is suitable for them.

-Cindy-