? for people with Powder Blue experience

Chad and Jen May

So this question is for people who already have or have once had a Powder Blue Tang (I already know they are aggressive ich-magnets). Just wondering if any of you have had success keeping a PB with other tangs. I also have a Blue Hippo and two yellow tangs in my 180g. The Hippo was the first tang in the tank, months later the powder blue, and a week after that, I added the two yellows. The PB and the Hippo get along fine, mostly ignoring each other. The yellow tangs are a different story. The PB pesters the yellows pretty frequently, and it (PB) has broken out in ich because of this. The yellows look fine, no ich, no injury and everyone is eating like crazy (have to force myself to not overfeed them, they are such pigs) but Im wondering if this behavior will continue, or will he eventually settle down and accept the yellows. They have been together in the tank for two weeks. Before I added the yellows, the PB looked great, I felt really lucky, he ate on day one, no signs of ich, etc.. A week after adding the yellows is when I first saw ich. Any advice is appreciated.

my powder blue is with a yellow tang in an 85g, both get along well and have never shown any signs of ich. I feel rather fortunate that they have done so well. I'm planning to move them to the 220g soon, when I have time to catch them.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I have a 180g as well. My first tang was a yellow and then I tried adding a Powder Blue... It died of Ich caused by the stress of being chased by the Yellow for several days when I added it. It lasted about a week to 10 days. I then decided to add multiple fish at the same time to distribute the aggression from the Yellow. I added 3 Hippos about 3 inches each... They got ich but not very bad. I also added 2 Skunk cleaner shrimp to the tank and it is really fun to watch them clean the tangs. Recently I decided to add another Powder Blue but this time I did it at the same time with a Naso Tang and I have started doing it at night with just the Actinics on so they have a change overnight to get accustomed to the tank before the harrassment starts. This last time the Yellow chased the Power Blue for about 2 days but he has remained healthy and strong and eating well. He has gotten a little ich but not much... I am also mixing some GarlicExtreme into their pellet food to help boost their immune system... I am over feeding right now to make sure they all stay strong and get ample food for a few weeks until the Ich is gone... Good luck!