Howdy

Ravenmore

Hey all - returning to the hobby after being away for a while. My parents gave me their tank. I'm currently trying to restore it from a hair algae break out, so no pics yet.

One thing I've noticed is that the pod/bristleworm population seems to be non existant. Is there a good local source for revitalizing this?

Cheers!

Welcome back! I'm fairly new but from what I understand, pods will come around with live rock and live sand. The more the better. Or having a sump/refugium will help populate your system. Either way, it's just going to take time. They like established tanks. And bristleworms will be hitchhikers in your live rock. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding of it.

What are your plans for the tank? Do you have a stock list yet?

Thanks! This is a very old tank though. It's a 75 gallon that I had, that I gave to my parents for 5+ years that they are now giving back to me. Some of the rock has been in the system for almost 12 years. Due to live stock choices over the years the pod and worm population has taken a hit. I haven't seen a single bristleworm since I've taken the tank back.

The tank is currently lit with a dual 150 watt halide fixture, which is much less than I would normally run. I'm currently exploring LED's, which weren't around when I left. It has a remora skimmer and a 10 gallon - soon to be 20 gallon - refugium. Not much in the way of corals: Closed brain, Bubble coral, Frogspawn (with clownfish), lots of shrooms, some random zoos and palys, and a few leather corals. Might focus on stocking with zoos and ricordias - they look cool and are hardy

sounds nice...I can bring you a nice sized bag of chaeto at our next delivery...check our sponsor forum for date and time and message me if you want some.

I would get some macro from several members to help boost your pod population. Welcome back.

Thanks! This is a very old tank though. It's a 75 gallon that I had, that I gave to my parents for 5+ years that they are now giving back to me. Some of the rock has been in the system for almost 12 years. Due to live stock choices over the years the pod and worm population has taken a hit. I haven't seen a single bristleworm since I've taken the tank back.

The tank is currently lit with a dual 150 watt halide fixture, which is much less than I would normally run. I'm currently exploring LED's, which weren't around when I left. It has a remora skimmer and a 10 gallon - soon to be 20 gallon - refugium. Not much in the way of corals: Closed brain, Bubble coral, Frogspawn (with clownfish), lots of shrooms, some random zoos and palys, and a few leather corals. Might focus on stocking with zoos and ricordias - they look cool and are hardy

Welcome back! Looking at what you are stocking and the size of your tank if you are thinking of replacing the MH I'd take a serious look at LED's. Obviously I don't know what your long term goals are but some of the LED fixtures can put out 400 - 500 PAR at 18 " which should work for a lot of your light loving corals (and probably to much light for what you have now). Check out the articles by Joshi Sanjey on Advanced Aquarist and I've seen some pretty good reviews other places as well giving light distribution and depth penetration. And you gotta love that 50,000 hr life expectancy. The problem I've seen in trying to interpret the marketing hype is fixtures with the same or similar TOTAL wattage or similar PAR/watt ratios will use different INDIVIDUAL wattage LEDs with or without reflectors giving different light distribution and depth penetration readings. To use a fruit analogy: What's a better apple, Red Delicious, Macintosh, Golden Delicious or Granny Smith?