Where's the best place to buy RO water?

KarenM

Do all LFS sell it? What do theyb charge for it? Who has the best? (PM me so as not to hurt any feelings).

I think that most LFSs carry it although I don't remember the rpices anymoe. I used to get mine from a vending machine outside of the local Albertson's though. It was $.25 a gallon and the TDS was usually in the 5-8 ppm range. I have never had any issues with using RO only water myself.

I think that most LFSs carry it although I don't remember the rpices anymoe. I used to get mine from a vending machine outside of the local Albertson's though. It was $.25 a gallon and the TDS was usually in the 5-8 ppm range. I have never had any issues with using RO only water myself.

Thaks for the reply. I stopped by RCA this afternoon because I was in that area anyway. I picked up some DI water, and they said that was more pure than RO water. It's "cooking" in the trashcan with some salt overnight and then I'll put it in the tank tomorrow afteroon. I'll see if I can see any difference. I think they charged $1 for 5 gal, which is .20 per gallon. Can't beat that!

You probably won't notice a difference right away. It would be more over the long term.

I doubt you'll notice any difference at all, especially if you're doing water changes, but it's certainly not going to hurt anything to use purer water.

Personally, I just think that this is one of those areas where the reefing community in general has gravitated towards a "purer is better" line of thinking without a whole lot of evidence one way or another. It's very hard to control variables in a reef aquarium suffucently so that you can assign causality to one particular thing. 5-10 ppm is really trace contamination as far as water purity goes - you probably pick up more contaminant than that just by putting it in a bucket (dust, etc) and you are most likely drinking water that is around 280 ppm yourself with no health issues.

The one thing that I do like about using RO/DI over RO is that DI can capture ammonia molecules, which is important in some areas. I've never found ammonia levels in the Austin city water though.

Also, I wonder if there may be an issue with just using DI over RO/DI though if there are any contaminants that are not charged molecules. I can't think of any though off of the top of my head that aren't rather exotic situations but maybe someone else in the forum knows of some?

I believe she was having Algae issues. Using water with a high ppm can definitely be a factor in that. I noticed a big difference once I got my own unit over using the water from an LFS (no longer in business) that wasn't keeping up with their filtration. I agree that some reefers are probably a little over board on worrying about it but the safer you are the better.

It's just sitting in the trashcan with salt and a powerhead. It just looks like it's cooking, or simmering.

My algae problem only last a few days. I did a water change and vacuumed up a tiny bit of it (I have a sand bed, so I can't vacuum up much), cleaned the glass, and it seemed to go away.

Good I'm glad it turn out okay. By the way....how is that yellow tang? Is it getting better?

The tang is great. Turns out it had too much protein (thanks for the info, Captain Bob). I put the algae sheets in more frequently and hopefully she'll (he'll?) eat more of that and less protein. Although I've never seen a fish with an appetite like this one! I'm still looking to rehome it into a large tank, if you're interested. <_<

The tang is great. Turns out it had too much protein (thanks for the info, Captain Bob). I put the algae sheets in more frequently and hopefully she'll (he'll?) eat more of that and less protein. Although I've never seen a fish with an appetite like this one! I'm still looking to rehome it into a large tank, if you're interested. <_<

Well...I think we are pretty much set with the amount of fish we got now. Thanks anyway.