Insane green Candy Cane

PeeperKeeper

First, as short a synopsis of what I'm doing as I can manage:

I have a friend whose husband was in a bad car accident in the wee hours of the morning of July 6th. He's in a coma and she's stuck sleeping at the hospital in a straight back chair in the waiting room, with no car. I want to do what I can (along with a bunch of people on another board where she's a member) to help her pay for hotel and the basics while they try to get through this.

I had been planning to frag my gorgeous neon green candy cane and put the proceeds into my "tank fund" for future tank purchases, but I've decided to use it to help AmyMichelle instead.

So, I have 4 nice frags, which I would like to sell for $10-$12/head. I'll take $10, but if you're feeling generous any extra you throw in will go to Amy. At the end of this post, I will put some links to her story. For now, I know what board I'm on and I know you want me to get to the goodies.

Frag #1 (3 heads)

Candy1.jpg

Frag #2 (5 heads, several are almost split in two already)

Candy2.jpg

Frage #3 (5 heads, again several splitting)

Candy3.jpg

Frag #4 (4 heads, but all 4 are almost split)

Candy4.jpg

And here's one of the mother colony under actinics. No, she's not for sale, and if I ever lose her before getting more frags, PLEASE let me have a frag off of one of these I'm selling! She glows like a nuclear reactor!

CandyActinic.jpg

Back to AmyMichelle and Dave.

Here is a link to a webpage that's been set up for them:

http://faerieflyers.com/PrayingfortheOsadchuks.html

And here are links to two of the threads about them at the other board:

http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...6636#Post336636

http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ubbt.../332736/fpart/1 From there you can find links to some of the news reports about the crash, etc. It is a sugar glider board I've been a part of for about 3 years. As you can see from the posts, the members are very close and very generous. One of them even jumped on a plane to go to Amy's side and bring her some of the collections because she couldn't get to her paypal account, being in the hospital with no computer. I've met many of them, including Amy and Dave, at various "glider gatherings" all over the country and it's an amazing community to be a part of.

Amy was on the phone with Dave when the crash happened. He was not at fault and was using a hands free bluetooth device. A drunk driver hit him from behind and caused his car to flip. Amy heard the whole thing, including his scream, the car flipping and whoever discovered him in the car right afterward talking to him. It's been a week and a half and last I heard they haven't been able to wake him (I'm checking for updates daily). They don't have a lot of money and Amy is probably going to have to get out of their apartment lease and move in with her mom (when she's not at the hospital).

So if you decide to get some nice frags, you will also be helping out someone going through a real tragedy.

PM me or call me at work at 339-2020 if you're interested. You can pick up the frags at my office (the tank is in the waiting area) in North Austin. It is Parmer Eye Care, in the HEB shopping center at the intersection of Parmer and Mopac. Office hours are M, Tu, Fr. 8am-6pm and W, Th 8am - 7pm. We're also there some Saturdays (usually the 1st and 3rd Sat of the month) from 9am - 2pm.

Thanks,

Sundra

Wow. I'm really surprised, and kind of disappointed. Over 60 views but not a single reply to this post. C'mon guys. I need your help. Where's your heart?

These are nice frags. Is $10/head unreasonable? I think that's about what I paid for the mother colony a little over a year ago when it was the size of these frags, and now it's softball size!

• 2 weeks later...

Peeper, I sent your friend 25 bucks. It's very sad, and in a moments notice anyone of us could be in her shoes. She's lucky to have friends like you. I'd like to buy some of the candycane but I'm in Dallas. Would you ship it on lone star?

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your friend. :-( They are lucky to have someone who cares as much as you. I will buy three heads for $50 but I just lost a condy that has goofed up my tank. Can you hold it for a week or two while I get my parameters under control?

Edited by Sean

Sorry, I was out of town and didn't see these replies until now. Thanks to all of you! I especially appreciate the donation, Kristie. You're right. It could happen to any of us. It's a scary thought.

I'm afraid to ship coral because I've never shipped anything live and wouldn't know how to package it. I'd hate for it to die. Maybe someone is travelling to Dallas in the near future and wouldn't mind bringing them to you?

Yes, I still have all of them and I'd be happy to hold one for you, Sean.

Rufus, there are four total, so whatever's leftover after Kristie (if we figure out transportation) and Sean pick theirs is yours.

Unfortunately, Dave is still not coming around. The doctors are becoming pessimistic, but we're still holding out hope that he'll come back to us. The place I went out of town to was a meet up of glider folks from the board I know Amy from. The meet up is called the SGGA and we do it every year in a different state/part of the country. We held a raffle for Amy and Dave and were able to raise $1000 for them, not counting what everyone just put in a piggy bank that will also be given to them. Also, the SGGA is supported by another raffle everyone participates in and so many people put in tickets to that raffle with Amy's name on them that Amy also won a bunch of glider accessories (toys, pouches, etc.) from the main SGGA raffle even though she wasn't there to enter herself. As I said, it's a really generous community.

This one is too! I'll PM all of you who expressed interest in these corals, but if you want, feel free to call me. My office number is 512 339-2020. I'll PM you my mobile number, rather than posting it.

Thanks!

PK

• 3 weeks later...

Sean came by and picked up the 3 head frag a little while ago, and left a very generous donation in addition to the price for the frag. I've still got the 3 bigger ones left.

Thanks so much, Sean, and Amy and Dave thank you too! Keep me posted on how it does in your tank. I've very rarely sold frags out of my tank before, so it kinda feels like letting a bird fly from the nest.

For anyone who's wondering, here's an update on Dave. He is not in a coma, but he does have severe brain damage. For several weeks, he was not responsive at all. Then his eyes were open, but no one was home. The doctors were calling it a persistent vegetative state, which he may or may not be able to recover from at all. He has made some progress in the past couple of weeks though. He is now aware that Amy is there and is able to respond to her a little bit, like blinking, squeezing her hand, giving weak kisses, and responding so some requests, although not consistently. At least it is now obviously not just reflex movements. The most impressive thing he's been able to do thus far is put on his glasses and put in an earbud for an iPod. He can shake or nod his head to answer questions, but sometimes the answer (yes or no) doesn't seem to be the one he means. Amy is still there by his side almost all day every day. She gives nightly updates on what's happened that day at Glider Central, and the updates are posted on the "Praying for the Osadchucks" website I posted above. Thanks for all of your continued prayers. It is going to be a long road to recovery for Dave, and there are no guarantees about how much he will recover.

I'd still love to sell the rest of these frags and send even more cash to Amy, if anyone is interested. If I don't respond to a PM or post in this thread (sometimes I forget to come check it) just call me at the office at 339-2020.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to buy one, what's the smallest one you have? Any other frags?

Sean came by and picked up the 3 head frag a little while ago, and left a very generous donation in addition to the price for the frag. I've still got the 3 bigger ones left.

Thanks so much, Sean, and Amy and Dave thank you too! Keep me posted on how it does in your tank. I've very rarely sold frags out of my tank before, so it kinda feels like letting a bird fly from the nest.

For anyone who's wondering, here's an update on Dave. He is not in a coma, but he does have severe brain damage. For several weeks, he was not responsive at all. Then his eyes were open, but no one was home. The doctors were calling it a persistent vegetative state, which he may or may not be able to recover from at all. He has made some progress in the past couple of weeks though. He is now aware that Amy is there and is able to respond to her a little bit, like blinking, squeezing her hand, giving weak kisses, and responding so some requests, although not consistently. At least it is now obviously not just reflex movements. The most impressive thing he's been able to do thus far is put on his glasses and put in an earbud for an iPod. He can shake or nod his head to answer questions, but sometimes the answer (yes or no) doesn't seem to be the one he means. Amy is still there by his side almost all day every day. She gives nightly updates on what's happened that day at Glider Central, and the updates are posted on the "Praying for the Osadchucks" website I posted above. Thanks for all of your continued prayers. It is going to be a long road to recovery for Dave, and there are no guarantees about how much he will recover.

I'd still love to sell the rest of these frags and send even more cash to Amy, if anyone is interested. If I don't respond to a PM or post in this thread (sometimes I forget to come check it) just call me at the office at 339-2020.