My Harlequin Shrimp is Pregnant!

Melissa

Oh gosh. Its been a while since I've been around due to a new job.

Last night I saw what I always thought was my female harly very fat and her belly round. She's carrying eggs! Im thinking tonight I'll lure the pair out with starfish then move them to the frag tank to let them continue. Any other ideas or help?

Ok, these are shots from this morning, and then after work, after a fast trip to the Dome. Thank you Gary for letting K pick out his own Star. It made his day after being sick all week.

After collaborating with my team, figured it would be easiest to put the star in the net, then let them come in, and bag them from there. Well, the male was hesitant to let her come near and went into the net first. Into the bag he went. Try again. Walked out for a smoke while waiting and the female had snatched it and pulled it to the middle of the tank. Yanked a boulder of GSP away since it's supposed to grow back.... lol and was able to walk my fingers to her enough to get her to back out. The only thing is they aren't scared of us anymore. The male had hopped a ride on my finger while K held the bag in the water. Once the female had found the whole star in the net, as opposed to the one piece of another it had been eating on,she made it to the bag and acclimated them for about 45 min. As soon as they hit the water, I put the chunk-O-star left over from the evil starfish eating starfish, into the cave I made for them, but they quickly found the new mollies and started getting active and moved about the tank. I moved the mollies to another tank to be mentioned later. That's the tank with the Yellow Tang we have the adoption paperwork for from Petsmart. Emaciated and hadn't eaten in 3 months. ( She is fine now ;) )They found a new cave but have settled for now. Thank you Gary, Terry and Hunter for letting me dance around in joy for my favorite babies and my naive happiness in finding two species that love each other. (at least two color variations ). I wub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gif them.

Now I have an new excuse to set up a separate culture of pods, and need to do it soon. I have to gather equipement to see what I'm missing. I may miss this clutch, but will learn by the next.

post-1346-0-61937600-1311225507_thumb.jp

post-1346-0-85268500-1311225525_thumb.jp

post-1346-0-05405800-1311225544_thumb.jp

post-1346-0-37354400-1311225561_thumb.jp

post-1346-0-46662200-1311225582_thumb.jp

post-1346-0-87713700-1311225595_thumb.jp

post-1346-0-41471100-1311225611_thumb.jp

post-1346-0-56969200-1311225625_thumb.jp