power outage and overflow

wizardx322

hey i just had a power outage here at the house took them 2 hrs to get power going again.

my question is when there is a power outage what do yall do about the water that drains down into the sump becuase everytime this happens my tank water drains to much and flows out about 4 gallons.

i'm about to go the surge protector battery thing so when power is out i can at least run for another hour or so.

Your sump/fuge should be large enough to accommodate back flow from failed pumps or power outages. That's what my understanding is. Of course some sort of siphon break hole can help you out here too I think.

Your ups idea may work but some pumps do not work well on them.

http://reefcentral.com/index.php/sump-volume try this calculator to show how much back flow you have to deal with over your normal sump volume.

if you don't have a siphon break hole, then if you have loc line for your return lines, bend up the loc lines so that they are above water quickly after you turn off your return pump. That will cause a siphon break.

I did two things to make sure I was safe. I hope this translates well the way I explain here. I also hope I'm not insulting anyone by writing what may be a "beginner" how-to but I wanted to help anyone who may have similar questions. I was there too.

First, drain the sump to a level that all your pumps within the sump are working normally (not running dry or making terrible noises) but you still have plenty of room for water to fill in.* Then turn OFF the return pump and let the display tank (DT) drain as much as it will into the sump. (Keep watching it of course.) If the water coming down is too much for your sump then you needed to leave more room in the sump or better, do as Mindflux or Mark said above, I drilled a hole in the returns tubes just below the DT normal water line so that water doesn't siphon backwards down those to the return pump and sump. (Drilling small siphon holes was the 2nd thing I did and the tiny amount of water that comes out of it during normal operation is no problem).

Once all the water that will drain from the DT has drained, check the sump water level. If you can add more water do - fill up the sump with as much as you safely can before it spills over.

Now turn ON the return pump. Wait for the display tank to return it's normal level. Check out the height of the water now in the sump. I used a piece of scotch tape to mark that top level. This is the MAX amount of water you can ever add to your sump. In a power outtage, you know your tank will drain enough to safely fill to the top of the sump even if you've just topped off recently. I hope that makes sense.

Just a note, wiithout doing what Mindflux or Mark mentioned above, you will probably need a lot more empty room in your sump for "just in case". That's no fun. We all want a lot of water in our systems.

*I do not have an auto-top off so I marked this spot with a piece of scotch tape so I know I better get some water in there quick or pumps will start getting noisy.

if you don't have a siphon break hole, then if you have loc line for your return lines, bend up the loc lines so that they are above water quickly after you turn off your return pump. That will cause a siphon break.

+1.

It's what I do and it works fine.

The Robb and Mark approved. What else do you need? :cool:;)

etannert, if I read your response right about being at home, I think you are reading as if you bend the lines after the power outtage. If so, the loc lines can be shaped so he meant shape it so that it's just barely above the water now, but when little water loss happens it will make the lines above water very quickly. If I'm way off base about your reply, please move along, move along. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

post-1891-0-62614000-1310955265_thumb.pn

Thanks for clarifying Bry. It didn't occur to me thats what she meant.

Emily,

Yes, like Bry says, you can position the output nozzle such that it reaches air quickly. Mine is setup that way; I get a gentle surface ripple when it's running and quick siphon break when power dies.