Feeding a sun coral

Mindflux

0oaCNl.jpg

Working on coaxing my sun coral out of hiding. Squirted some thawed mysis 'juice' into the top of this 2-liter bottle top, if the polyps come out to eat I'll feed it mysis via this bottle top as well to keep my fish from stealing their food.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these guys to come out regularly?

How long have you had the colony in the tank?

A week? I got it from Sherita because it wasn't doing well in her tank. There's some skeletal recession/death and she said she had a hard time getting it to come out to eat. I've gotten SOME of the polyps out and got some mysis to them earlier in the week, but nothing like I see on melevsreef or elsewhere.

I've had several sun corals for a while, and I just got one in bad shape. Just keep offering food and feed whatever comes out. I've seen no rhyme or reason to when they open for food. I'll catch some of mine all puffed up and ready for food in middle of the day when there hasn't been any food for a while and wouldn't be, then some stay closed through a heavy feeding :iiam:

I would say just offer food when you have a chance (without crashing your tank), and definitely don't miss a chance to feed if you catch even one tentacle sticking out. Cylopeeze is a good choice too if the polyps are small, or only a few stick out. I've also read of people sticking the coral in a bowl every couple days for an hour saturated with food but I don't have luck with that.

Good luck!!

I had a colony a whole back and I fed it on a daily bases at the same time. It was night. I cut a top off a gallon water jug to fit it in and put it in the jug with water from the tank. It eventually started to open when I offered mysis shrimp. I blew the shrimp around with a small syringe so the polyps could catch the food. After the ate and close I put it back in the tank. Reason for feeding it in the jug was to prevent any unwanted food in the tank plus it was my only spot fed coral. I hope this helps you and good luck with the coral

I have 2 colonies of Sun Corals and I feed them shrimp as well as pellets. I have tried using a 2 liter bottle and dropping food down it but they usually close up when I do that so now I just use a plastic pipe and drop the pellets down into it and feed that way.

Give it some time. It is probably stressed. Forcing the feeding may stress it out more and cause more damage. Night time would be a good time to feed, probably an hour after lights out.

How long have you had the colony in the tank?

A week? I got it from Sherita because it wasn't doing well in her tank. There's some skeletal recession/death and she said she had a hard time getting it to come out to eat. I've gotten SOME of the polyps out and got some mysis to them earlier in the week, but nothing like I see on melevsreef or elsewhere.

I have a sun that opens at night and periodically throughout the day. You are right about the scavenger feeders who want to eat the Sun coral's food though (every night when I feed it--aprox 3-4x's a week--my emerald crab, fire srimp and pigmy angel fish come around to scavenge food!! ). My Sun likes Cyclop-eez and Coral Frenzy and I feed it via a turkey baster (just make sure not to squirt it out too fast or the tentacles will close up!). Good luck getting yours to open up! Oh one other thing make sure the coral isn't in direct lighting. You should have it under some sort of overhang or in a cave...Best of luck!