Brooklynella?

Mindflux

URTSQ.jpg

Is this the start of Brooklynella? It's on both my clowns in appx the same place. Vivid says to treat with Melafix, but I don't have a Hosp/QT tank set up yet.

With that in mind, does anyone in R.R have any premixed salt water they wouldn't mind me grabbing some of? I've got 5 gallons brewing, but I don't want to use it too soon (how soon is too soon? for RSCP?)

Wish I could say for sure. However, when my Kole Tang came down with ich a couple of weeks ago, I saw nearly the exact same spot in the exact same area on my smaller clown. Two small water changes in three days did away with it, as well as a slight increase in feeding. I haven't noticed anything since.

Wish I could help more, but that's all I got. Good luck, man.

- Caleb

Well I ended up picking up some KanaPlex according to a friend of mine whom used to work at RCA. I mixed that in with some thawed/strained mysis and fed in very small increments (3-5 mysis in the water column at one time) to observe everyone eating. Everyone took to it except my scared firefish.

Lets hope a couple more days of this will yield good results and I won't have to result to a QT and formalin dosing.

Just a quick tip or three:

I keep a few pieces of pottery in my sump, or behind live rock percolating. This gives me something both easy and disposable to put in a quarantine tank. Pottery is a good substitute for live rock in most circumstances.

A quick water change produces an equal or better volume of water for a q tank. I like to use a 75 / 25 mixture of old tank water to fresh made saltwater for a q tank

Forget all the fancy stuff a quarantine tank is nothing more than a safe place to quarantine suspect or new livestock. I've used 5 gallon tanks or buckets, 10 gallon tanks, 12, 14, 15 gallon Rubbermaid vats, 15, 20 gallon tanks. (size should be based on a priority / preference matrix). Add a power head and regular water changes and you have an effective q tank.

I don't have a sump, unfortunately. I also don't have anything "percolating" to add any beneficial bacteria to a temporary QT (bucket or whatever) which is part of the reason I ditched the MelaFix plan, because I didn't have a stable place to put the fish to dose the water.

It looks like whatever this is has spread further into the body (toward the tail) on one (if not both) of these clownfish. :/

Clowns are still alive. I treated them for 3 days with KanaPlex via their food. They still show signs of whatever this is, which I'm not sure is Brooklynella at this point. One of the clowns has more of whatever it is on their body, and if I were to give it a name based on visual I'd say it was fuzzy (or velvety).. so I'm wondering if I have a case of velvet.

Ok I got my 29 QT up I bought from Maxine before she moved. It's got an eclipse hood with a biowheel in it. The tank has been in my garage for a month so the biowheel dried out, but I was wondering if now that it's wet again (and the filter media, which I'll remove one I start dosing the QT tank) if I'll have any of that 'good' bacteria I'm needing to keep the fish happy?

Wife thinks the clown is looking a bit happier. It's not swimming full bore into a pump stream anymore in the QT tank. He isn't being very adventurous though, keeps to one side of the tank (near the pump)

External signs of Brook seem to be faded/gone, though that may just be the poor lighting where the QT tank is sitting.

Signs of Ammonia in the new QT are presently zero. (or close to it according to those dang color cards).

Glad things seem to be going better for your fish. Whenever I use an uncycled QT I usually do 50% water changes everyday and maybe some prime if I have a lot of fish/seahorses in there and that has always taken care of any ammonia. I bet you're not feeding a ton so I think you'll be just fine. Hope it continues to recover!

I really need to catch my Chromis, Wrasse and Firefish for QT/Treatment.

Problem is the Chromis and Wrasse are FAST. The Firefish I haven't seen in 2 or 3 days since I netted the clown. I think he went into deep hiding, I hope he's not dead. :angry:

Clown is looking/acting better. He's hanging out inside some PVC Tee's and elbows I have in the QT tank. Starting to act a little less gaspy (hanging around pumps for added flow and such).

I've put a normal filter back in the QT with charcoal to remove the medication. (Though Formalin is only active for about 2 hours in water) I've got to soak up the Malachite Green.

Will continue to monitor him over the next several weeks. What a lonely existence.

Oh no! You are having a run of bad luck. Hope you can catch and treat him. Clown still doing better?

Clown looks good. If I can get everyone into QT I'd treat Formalin again for 3 days and observe, then probably keep them all QT'd for 6+ weeks for the lifecycle of brooklynella to leave my DT.