Another skimmer question

KarenM

I bought a used Prism (before I saw the bad reviews) about 2 monts ago. I was having problems with microbubbles, but other than that it seemed to work fine up until about a week ago. I just happen to look at the tank and notice a ton of bubbles filling up the right side of the tank. The skimmer "collection tank" had filled with water and water was pouring out into tank, even from the little overflow tube. I emptied and cleaned it, turned it back on and reset it. Last night it did the same thing. I can't figure out why it would do this.

Should I just get another one, and if so, what's the best value on the lower end of the financial scale? I have a 40 gal tall tank.

Does it need to be a hang-on skimmer? If so, that limits things quite a bit. Tunze makes some decent in-tank skimmers that aren't too expensive. What kind of budget are you talking about?

I'd like it to be a hang on because my tank is so small. There's not much room in there. Can you get anything decent for less than $150?

Edited by KarenM

I'd like it to be a hang on because my tank is so small. There's not much room in there. Can you get anything decent for less than $150?

Corallife super skimmer will be better choice for your tank, CSS can be mount on HOB. what is your tank size?

sorry I didn't read the tank size.. 40 gallon tank, could be CSS 65 or CSS 125

Edited by aeroaustin

Well, you could get a new Tunze nano for $140 but it may be a bit small for your tank (they say its good for up to 52 gallons in a mixed aquarium, but I find most manufaacturers are more than a bit optimistic in their high-end estimates - it might work just fine though if your demands aren't too great.) The in-tank DOC clasic skimmers are like $250 but I see them pretty regularly on the consignment shelf at aqua-tek. (They are small and efficient skimmers, but some folks don't like the fact that they sit in the tank.) It would be worth stopping by and checking IMHO. Bruce might also have an old one laying around somwhere if you ask nicely.

The CSS skimeers do have the ability to "hang-on back" but they aren't sealed skimmers and if the water level changes or something else causes it to overflow, the water is going to end up on your carpet :( and they are a little bit finnicky in my personal experience (great price though.)