Apex Access Via Internet

pbnj

OK, I'm seriously lost.

I reconfigured the Apex Port number to 9999. Then I tried to change my router set-up to port-forward incoming TCP requests on port 4567 to port 9999 of the Apex IP address (192.168.1.50).

post-727-0-92282900-1307923068_thumb.jpg

Nothings seems to work.....HELP!

That's not NAT, that's opening a wide range of ports. Try hitting http://youripaddress:9999 from an outside computer and you'll likely see it work.

If you want to do Network Address Translation (NAT) to forward port 4567 (outside) to 9999 (inside) you need to look elsewhere. Most likely under port forwarding/triggering. (thought that looks like that's where you are at present anyway)

That screenshot is from the Port Forwarding option on the menu.

Let me add that I can access the controller from my home PC, just not from a different computer. The different/other computer is using the same router, but I can't access the controller using http://mywanip:9999 or http://apex:9999 from that machine.

I don't have a netgear so sorry if I'm off, I can see on the right that you are in "port forwarding/port triggering" but it doesn't look like mine. Usually port forwarding will give you several rows to forward to many internal IPs. The page you have showing only allows one IP to be forwarded to. Check out my attachment just so you'll see how another one looks.

You also have openend over 5000 ports to all forward to that server IP .50. You want to be more specific and more secure. You'll notice on my attached pic that I have used the default port 80 and only port 80 for my Apex on the .60 address.

Try this, get it working on port 80. (put only port 80 in the start and end address). When you get that working you can try another port. Some ports may not work well with some protocols, who knows.

edit: some of those ports you are using are reserved for other software, other traffic, try to use one that you know will work, like the default 80 or one you've read doesn't have a lot of traffic on it.)

post-1891-0-43944500-1307927301_thumb.pn

Do you have to use that netgear smart wizard? Didn't know if that was a middle software or that was direct access to the changes. Seems wierd you can't tell it several IP and ports nor can you choose UDP or TCP.

I've also read that Netgear routers have problems when remote management turned is turned on. Just a thought.

what if you try the http://192.168..1.50:80 instead of having the DNS translate?

Seems wierd you can't tell it several IP and ports nor can you choose UDP or TCP.

You can choose TCP, UDP, or TCP/UDP.

I've also read that Netgear routers have problems when remote management turned is turned on.

RM is turned off.

What if you try the http://192.168..1.50:80 instead of having the DNS translate?

Doesn't work.

Your router should have no bearing on inside translation (at least on a consumer level device). Something else is going on if you can only hit the Apex from one PC.

I'm using my work laptop from home, which connects to my workplace's network via my home's cable modem.

Your router should have no bearing on inside translation (at least on a consumer level device). Something else is going on if you can only hit the Apex from one PC.

I'm using my work laptop from home, which connects to my workplace's network via my home's cable modem.

Well.. that's a tough one then, you're effectively doing 2 NAT translations, if not more which really breaks things. The short of it is your router should see that the address is internal to you and route it appropriately rather than pushing it through your VPN tunnel but it's not, which means that your office isn't "Splitting" the tunnel between your local and remote traffic or something else is happpening.

You really need to test it from an outside source without being at home (or via your phone on a 3G/LTE network and not your home wifi).

[You really need to test it from an outside source without being at home (or via your phone on a 3G/LTE network and not your home wifi).

Thanks, that's my next step. There might be some kind of firewall issue going on through my work laptop.

So you can get it from the home PC but not on the laptop... I set up an outside DDNS service so I could get this working on my iPhone outside of the house (I have a dynamic home IP like most home users). DynDNS.org is one of several free ones and worked perfectly with my LinkSys router. Maybe you need that for your laptop.

attached is my apex network setup just for grins. Also check the "unnofficial guide" for the Apex (also attached). Guided me through several steps pretty easily. (5.21mb)

post-1891-0-55580300-1307935970_thumb.pn

Apex New User Guide - pg 56.pdf

I found an older version of the manual on Aquacave that explains the DHCP the way Bry did. They could have saved me a lot of grief if they kept that explanation in the newer manual.

Glad it is working. I was wondering what would happen if that was enabled but yet an IP was still assigned. Seems like they would program the interface to only let you do one or the other.

From a technical standpoint on a home network with only a few devices dhcp should not matter. When the lease renews 99.99% of the time re same IP address would be assigned by the router.

Agreed. I wonder what would happen though if the number assigned is out of the range the DHCP uses. I guess overall it depends on how they programmed the server to function in that situation.