Quiet Overflow

Wildman926

I have a standard overflow, but one of the drains aproximately 1/2" higher than the first. I used a Hofer Gurgle buster as my back up, but you don't have to. I was lazy in removing it and it is higher than the regular drain. Install valves after the overflow box drains to slow down the water on the lower one. Then use screen or mesh that is plastic or nylon, and ensure it is at least 1" taller than both drain pipes. Leave the taller drain pipe wide open, but close the lower drain pipe's valve until quiet. Use plasic zip ties and overlap the screen to ensure it is sealed to keep out debris and shrimp. I am looking at using hard plastic housings like what is used on powerheads to house the sponge filter to use instead of soft mesh screen to look more commercial. DONE!

There is no way any debris can get into your drain to clog, and you have a back up. I have had shrimp in there for days, no problem. I use the bio ball to channel the water, so I can open the valve more. The mesh does not impede the flow like an overflow prefilter sponge (they don't at first, but do when they grow bacteria and become a nitrate factory as well). This works with a overflow box and pump rated at 1200 gph. Works like a champ, no issues when there is a power failure, etc.

Here is a video of it. Just click on the link.

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/New%20110/?action=view&current=9f4dbac3.mp4

And the hard plastic filter cover I am talking about. It is a Hagen power head filter. Just don't use the sponge obviously.

41jIsOhM6OL._SS400_.jpg