DE bulb suggestions

hammondegge

i need to replace 2 Geisseman 20k's 150w bulbs. i really like these bulbs but before i replace them i figured i would see if anyone has had any experience with any other brand that are similar or equal to these, at perhaps half the price? these run about $100 each. FWIW i do not run any supplement lighting on this tank, just two pendants.

Ok I've run the Giesseman 20k DE bulb as well. I noticed a nice blue color with a small hint of white and excellent coral color. However, I also noticed absolutely no growth for 8 months and a huge spectrum shift on the bulb at 6 months.

I think I'd recommend three different bulbs to try. The first would be the Phoenix 14k (Chinese made version of the very expensive Aquaconnect 14k) as it is very blue and also gives good growth. The Hamilton 14k would be my second choice as it also is a very good 14k bulb but I do like the Phoenix bulb more.

The final suggestion would be the Reeflux 12k as this bulb would show you growth that absolutely blows the giesseman out of the water. It's white with a good hint of blue but definitely brighter and less blue than the Giesseman. Fishypets runs 2 400w 12k reefluxs on his tank and I really like the color.

John

I second the Phoenix 14k. I used the Aquaconnects 14k for many years and loved it. Kept blue torts blue! Nice crisp blue-white.

I still have the bulb (the A.C. 14k) if you wanted to try it out but it's 250w.