Do you clean power filters?

KarenM

I have an Emperor power filter with a bio wheel and a protein skimmer on my 40 gal tank. I change the filter media every 3 weeks or so. Every couple of days I empty the skimmer and wash out the top part. Should I be taking the filter and skimmer off of the tank and cleaning them out?

My ammonia and nitrites are perfect. My nitrates have always been slightly high (at 10 or so), but lately they've spiked up to 40. I'm guilty of overfeeding, so I'm cutting back and doing more frequent water changes until they stabilize.

I have an Emperor power filter with a bio wheel and a protein skimmer on my 40 gal tank. I change the filter media every 3 weeks or so. Every couple of days I empty the skimmer and wash out the top part. Should I be taking the filter and skimmer off of the tank and cleaning them out?

My ammonia and nitrites are perfect. My nitrates have always been slightly high (at 10 or so), but lately they've spiked up to 40. I'm guilty of overfeeding, so I'm cutting back and doing more frequent water changes until they stabilize.

DO NOT USE TAP WATER.....I promise you will be more than sorry you did. Replace the filter pads in them with live rock rubble and essentially create a H.O.B. copeopod fuge while still filtering. If you have questions please pm me as I can lead you through the biology and ideology behind this method. NEVER replace the Bio wheel. Simply scrub it off well with removed tank water when you do a water change.

DO NOT USE TAP WATER.....I promise you will be more than sorry you did. Replace the filter pads in them with live rock rubble and essentially create a H.O.B. copeopod fuge while still filtering. If you have questions please pm me as I can lead you through the biology and ideology behind this method. NEVER replace the Bio wheel. Simply scrub it off well with removed tank water when you do a water change.
Hi, Kris. I'm very interested in hearing about the HOB fuge system. Could you sum it up here? I'm new to SW, and I'd like to hear everyone's opinions and experiences with it as well. Edited by KarenM