How fast should my ATO be ATO-ing?

Mindflux

I set up my ATO today after seeing the sort of loss I get over about 24 hours, my skimmers not doing it's job right now and so on and so forth.

It's just an ATO.com dual switch setup with a Aqualifter pump into a 5 gallon RODI container. I realize it probably shouldn't come out at rocket speed, but at this rate it might take 30 minutes to top off. Perhaps that's not a bad thing though.

I might be exceeding the Aqualifters Max Head (3 feet?)... so this may be part of the issue.

Is there a float switch in the the part being ATOed? Or are you dripping at a rate you calculated for? Also remember there are a lot of variables, temp, humidity, etc.

Dave-

The float switches are just to the right of the ATO drip in the video here. I'm not dripping at any specific rate, just trying to use this as an ATO.. not a Kalk+ATO. You can see what sort of flow I'm getting out of the aqualifter in it's present state.

Definitely need a stronger pump. Shouldn't take more than a few seconds to top off.

I moved the ATO container up a shelf in my stand and set the ATO pump on top of it. (to muffle pump noise mostly) and it's now pumping considerably faster. I'd say a steady drip instead of a drip or two every second. The additional head space required to suck the liquid from the shelf below the pump is what killed it I think.

It still took a while to top up, but it's the first run of the ATO for testing.

I have a maxijet 900 and 1200 I am not using at the moment if you want to switch the pump out to see how much of a difference it will make.

I'm just using airline tubing at the moment with this Aqualifter.. I think a MaxiJet would be overkill haha.

I think I have a decent flow rate right now, I mean it's no MaxiJet but I think if I continue to use it as is it won't take too long to top off.. it was just lower than normal since I hadn't gotten the ATO running until earlier. Ya know?

Though I am concerned about how much more evaporation I'll see with lights on the tank.

I moved the ATO container up a shelf in my stand and set the ATO pump on top of it. (to muffle pump noise mostly) and it's now pumping considerably faster. I'd say a steady drip instead of a drip or two every second. The additional head space required to suck the liquid from the shelf below the pump is what killed it I think.

It still took a while to top up, but it's the first run of the ATO for testing.

That should help a lot.

Alright, now that the ATO seems to be doing it's job. It seems like I'm going through about a gallon a day of ATO/RODI water with NO light on the tank and no top. This is a 34 gallon Solana.

Seems a bit excessive and also makes me concerned about going away for more than a couple days. (I have a week long trip planned soon)

That sounds about right when I compare it my first 29. Are you running fans to keep it cool? House temp & humidity will also account for overall evaproration. Again, speaking from my personal experiences.

Dave-

Hum! I must be having some odd water level fluctuations. My skimmer cup was full of water and the water level in the tank is higher than it should be. Gonna unplug it and let some evaporate off before I have an overflow situation.