Birdsnest losing flesh

Juiceman

I've lost a pink birdsnest and a hyacinth recently to tissue loss. I have abou 7 other sps and they're doing fine. Just wondering what could cause the birdsnests to do that and everything else to be unaffected.

Pers

Very low phos, nitrates, undectable

Ph 8.2

Kh 10

Good flow but not direct

Sometimes my hyacinth does that too. It can be in the same place for months growing really well and then one day it starts to recede from the inside out. I usually cut off the dying pieces right away and move it to a different part of the tank and the cycle starts again. It seems like when I abuse it by leaving it in the sandbed, or in a spot with bad flow it does awesome, as soon as I start taking good care of it...it seems to do worse. I have had the best luck with mine on the sandbed which is odd for sps.

So all the pieces I fragged off, all also lost all of their tissue. But still, all of my other SPS including new one's I've added, are all great. I have caught some of my hermits and snails messing with the bleached pieces, but I never saw them near it prior to this starting.

Birdsnest will RTN faster than any other coral I've owned. Like Steve said, your colony is doing great one day, receding the next and dead the following. I've gotten to the point that whenever I see any recession on my birdsnest, I AGGRESSIVELY trim in an attempt to save the rest of the colony. I just recently had a beautiful pink colony bigger that was between softball and volleyball size when it started receeding from a spot near the center. Despite some serious hack-and-slash, I'm down to a central colony about the size of a tennis ball, and two child colonies that are approaching raquetballs in diameter. I don't know if some temp fluctuations at the time made it susceptible to a bacterial infection, or if it got big enough to inhibit flow in the center. Either way, this all happened in the same tank with acros, montis, milles and even a Ponape birdsnest literally three inches away that were totally unaffected. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...