LED Vertex

Eric Alvarado

Anyone have or know someone who is using the Vertex Illumilux LED lights. I've been looking to accent my 4 bulb WavePoint T5HO fixture for some time. I had been looking to the marine land LED to add some shimmer and additional light. I thought that with the addition of the T5 + the marineland fixture I would be pretty well set for lighting.

However, I've been constantly looking at options and ran into a few other players. The one with the most interest (and bang for the buck) has been the Vertex Illimilux lighting fixtures.

Reviews

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-55070.html

http://glassbox-design.com/2010/vertex-lumina-led-review-optics/

Vendor

http://www.vertexaquaristik.com/Products/Lighting/LED/Illumilux/MarinoBianco.aspx

Anyone bumped into these?

Edited by JamesL
Removed non-sponsor reseller links.

The one with the most interest (and bang for the buck) has been the Vertex Illimilux lighting fixtures.

I've got a marineland ($150) and five stunner strips 12'' ($220 with adapter)... that's way cheaper that those vertex and that marineland adds a ton of shimmer. The stunner (453nmu) are a perfect blue light accent as well... I'm tearing down soon and the lights will go when i get rid of the livestock. If you're interested let me know, these lights are only a couple of months old and i'll give you a decent price so you don't have to spend $200 on one 12'' strip, lol

The one with the most interest (and bang for the buck) has been the Vertex Illimilux lighting fixtures.

I've got a marineland ($150) and five stunner strips 12'' ($220 with adapter)... that's way cheaper that those vertex and that marineland adds a ton of shimmer. The stunner (453nmu) are a perfect blue light accent as well... I'm tearing down soon and the lights will go when i get rid of the livestock. If you're interested let me know, these lights are only a couple of months old and i'll give you a decent price so you don't have to spend $200 on one 12'' strip, lol

The 48" Vertex is $399 and the 48" Marineland is $357 (cheapest I could find it). I'm not seeing the big price different. It also reports to have higher par ratings. Hence, bang for the buck. Also, the LEDs are on a unit where you can change them out in the future. The marineland is fixed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the marineland unit, but they are definately right around the same price.

The 12" Vertex is $170, so I am not seeing the big difference.

One 12" vertex is $170 and one 12" stunner strip is $40, and i told you i would cut you a deal, and there's not a big difference?

One 48" vertex is $399 and one 36" marineland, that extends out to 48" is $150, and again, i said i would cut you a deal... and you don't see the difference?

Not trying to be rude, but i just offered to save you over $350

One 12" vertex is $170 and one 12" stunner strip is $40, and i told you i would cut you a deal, and there's not a big difference?

One 48" vertex is $399 and one 36" marineland, that extends out to 48" is $150, and again, i said i would cut you a deal... and you don't see the difference?

I am only now piecing together what you said. So what you have is 1 Marineland 36" Reef (assuming not the doublebright?) and 5 x 12" stunner strips? It looked to me like you were telling me what you paid, I missed the fact you also made an offer to sell them in the last line.

That said, selling them used is clearly a better deal, buying them new is still comperable. Since I do not have a hood, and never ever want to get a hood :doh: that is not a good fit for me.

Thank you for the kind offer.

I am only now piecing together what you said. So what you have is 1 Marineland 36" Reef (assuming not the doublebright?) and 5 x 12" stunner strips? It looked to me like you were telling me what you paid, I missed the fact you also made an offer to sell them in the last line.

That said, selling them used is clearly a better deal, buying them new is still comperable. Since I do not have a hood, and never ever want to get a hood :doh: that is not a good fit for me.

Thank you for the kind offer.

Don't need a hood, and they are not the double bright i don't think... i have all five of the stunner strip leds rigged up to the marineland light strip... the arms of the marineland extend out and rest on the ends of the tank... i hate hoods too, this is a very sleek look... although my rigging is less than pretty lol, but it's not hard to make it your own. and as far as the stunners i have 1xUV, 1x8k, 3x453nmu

Edited by Ryan

They look like really nice units. The CREE XPEs are a couple of generations outdated, but they are still great LEDs and would add a substantial amount of light. The LEDs in the marineland are only 1w LEDs and I would be concerned about their ability to penetrate. Also, the consensus among the serious LED people is that 3w LEDs are the minimum that should be run. I would go with Vertex unit over the Marineland unit personally.